University of Alabama - Birmingham Sci Tech Honors Program

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>I have a question regarding the Science and Technology Honors Program at UAB. I was considering applying to the program, but now I am having second thoughts. Just wanted some input from students, former students, or other students applying. Is the program worth it? If I am planning on entering the Engineering Honors Program, should I even apply for the Sci Tech Honors? Would it be too overwhelimg? </p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>I think there is just one UAB parent that occasionally posts to this forum. </p>

<p>What are your concerns about the S&T honors program?</p>

<p>Did you apply to Bama as well?</p>

<p>UAB offers me more scholarship money. One of the big reasons for choosing there.</p>

<p>My concern is, if I am planning on joining the engineering honors program would applying for the S&T honors program be worth the workload?</p>

<p>Parent56 has a son at UAB. I believe he is in a chemistry honors program, but not sure if he is doing the S&T program.</p>

<p>We visited UAB first, and son liked the school and campus. We got brief exposure to the S&T program.</p>

<p>You do have to apply and be invited for an interview for the program, so I would suggest doing that. While waiting to hear from the school, you might want to research the program further, as well as the school. </p>

<p>I would definitely recommend a visit to UAB, as well as Auburn and Bama, and see which is a better fit for you, regardless of whether you are accepted into a competitive honors program or not.</p>

<p>Congratulations on your scholarship from UAB. It is a highly respected school in the south, especially in the medical community. My godchild attended for graduate school, and highly recommends it as a graduate program. The school has come a long way in the last few years in making the campus more of a campus than a commuter college. Very nice rec center, and they were starting to plant some trees in the “quad” area when we visited last fall. It is not as large a school as Bama, but it does have Greek life and sports, as well as many cultural offerings.</p>

<p>Good luck in your search.</p>

<p>JSquaredIV…</p>

<p>Can I ask you what your stats are? Are you an Alabama resident?</p>

<p>Alabama Resident
ACT: 29
GPA: 4.0
Low Income</p>

<p>Since you are an Alabama resident, I highly recommend that you visit Bama, Auburn and UAB, and see which is a better fit for you. All three have very good engineering programs. Take a look at not only the individual curriculum for your intended major, or just general engineering if you’re not sure, but also look at the core curriculum courses offered to fulfill general graduation requirements. </p>

<p>Although many colleges require high stats just to be admitted as an engineering major, so high that most engineering majors are qualified to be in the honors program, many engineering majors do, in fact, choose not to enroll in an honors program because of the rigor of engineering in general. Also, some want to focus their energies on co-ops/internships, rather than doing extra work required for honors programs.</p>

<p>Bama does have the benefit of “killing two birds with one stone”, where you can satisfy both an honors requirement and a core curriculum requirement with one course, whereas other honors programs require additional work over and above core requirements, such as reading additional novels/scholarly articles, writing research papers, working in labs, study abroad, and other time intensive requirements.</p>

<p>Good luck on your search and I hope you find your fit!</p>

<p>Thanks for all the input! However, I have visited all of the schools and have been accepted. That is not the reason for posting this thread. I wanted to go to auburn after visiting, but it looks like UAB is going to be the cheapest and that’s the main reason I’m going there. Unfortunately it has to be that way. I was just wondering if anyone has or any parents of students have participated in the honors program and is it alot more work? </p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>Totally understand where you’re coming from, jsquared. </p>

<p>Since you’re committed to UAB, I would recommend applying for the program and go from there.</p>

<p>You will hopefully be invited for an interview, and at that time, you can ask questions about the workload involved in the program.</p>

<p>My son was an applicant for the sci tech program, and he got a lot of emails from current students at UAB in the different programs. It is likely that if you apply for the programs, you will get those emails as well. I would encourage you to email the students with questions, as they would be better able to answer them for you, as current participants in the programs.</p>

<p>Again, good luck with your studies. UAB is an excellent school, and you will get a good education there.</p>

<p>EDIT: JUST CHECKED THE WEBSITE AND DEADLINE TO APPLY IS DEC 15TH, WHICH IS WEDNESDAY!</p>

<p>Thanks. </p>

<p>Did your son get accepted? If so what’s his major and how are his experiences? And thanks for the date, but I actually sent my last recommendation today! So hopefully it will be in in time!</p>

<p>Montegut’s son is at Bama, so he isn’t in the program.</p>

<p>Yes, jsquared, my son is in CBH at Bama, but he first visited UAB and looked very seriously at the programs. He was interested in biomedical engineering as an undergrad major, but will hold off until grad school to pursue that. We did go to an honors day at UAB, where we learned a lot about the sci tech program, met professors and students in the program. My son did apply to the program and even had an invite for the interview. However, after attending Capstone Day and meeting the honors people at Bama, he found Bama’s program to be a better fit for him at this time of his life. My godchild attended graduate school at UAB, and she highly recommends it for grad school. I work with a lot of doctors and very often discuss my son’s college choices with them, and they have nothing but praise for UAB and its programs. Another parent’s child who sometimes visits this forum did choose UAB over Bama, and is currently a student at UAB. That is parent56, if you want to try to find a post for him and pm him. I wish I could be of more assistance to you, but beyond the application process, I do not have any more personal information.</p>

<p>Good luck to you and enjoy your college experience!</p>

<p>jsquaredIV…answered your PM</p>

<p>and waving at all you UA people!! hope first semester was great for all your kids…was for mine</p>

<p>Thanks, parent56, for chiming in here! So glad your son is doing well at UAB. And thanks so much for helping jsquared. Keep us posted on your son’s progress!</p>

<p>montegut…he is loving the research opportunities… he finished classes/exams last week but has stayed down there working in a lab finishing one and then in january will start in another lab working on some kind of virus. He is really enjoying being a TA too. Silly guy has decided he is going to do a double degree…forensic chemistry and molecular biology so looking at heavy courseloads but so far all A’s (we dont know english yet)</p>

<p>Thanks so much, parent56, for the update. So proud of him!</p>

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>It’s a fantastic program which pulls in some of UAB’s brightest undergraduate scholars. It helps students gain access to undergraduate research. It also helps you to network with other like-minded students, as well as offers unique courses such as revamped english, statistics, and public speaking–making them science oriented. Scitech graduates many of its student into masters, doctoral, and medical school programs. (and pays for two years grad school, not including med school). </p>

<p>I encourage any eligible student who reads this post to apply to UAB’s STH program.</p>

<p>If you have any questions feel free to contact the program manager, Clay Walls. His contact information can be found on the uab STHP webpage… Just google it to find.</p>

<p>Cheers.</p>