University of alabama- Birmingham

<p>:) at montegut! would have been fun if our kids were in sci tech together. btw thoughts are with you at this time.</p>

<p>Alright so what i’ve gotten from this thread are that the facilities, and academics are top notch, but in order to have a fun social life, you have to try alot harder than at a traditional college, thanks for all the responses guys. Keep em coming!</p>

<p>If your staying on campus at UAB you won’t be disappointed. While UAB does not have a big college atmosphere like UA or Auburn its in the smack dab middle of B-Ham, the best city in the state. Hoover, Vestavia, Leeds, Brookwood, Homewood, 280, you will find PLENTY to do in these areas during the day. Some parts of Hoover is starting to turn a lil bit sketchy though. During the night you got frat parties and House parties to go to and the clubs and bars of Birmingham. BUT, if your going to a club STAY ON SOUTHSIDE. North side Birmingham has had a murder each day for a whole week straight last week. Other than that you have nothing to worry about.</p>

<p>A murder each day??? Is the crime in Birmingham really that bad??</p>

<p>I’ve never heard of a big city that didn’t have at least 1 homocide a day.</p>

<p>[The</a> Crimson White | Campus crime not new](<a href=“YouA moves from Youtube - The Crimson White”>YouA moves from Youtube - The Crimson White) </p>

<p>here are the crime stats for alabama schools for 2011. you will see that uab looks pretty good in comparison to some schools. also they have blue phones everywhere, campus police, hospital security from the 5 hospitals and city police. my son walks around southside at 2 am no problems, while i wouldnt suggest a female should ever walk alone at night, son has never felt any threats or problems.</p>

<p>Like any other bigger city, B’ham has some places that you simply should not go if you value your safety. All the usual cautionary practices you’d use anywhere apply.</p>

<p>I know what you mean, but the campus is safe right? As long as the campus is safe, i think i’ll be fine, because i know on some campuses, muggings and robberies are quite common.</p>

<p>imo and my son’s …the campus is very safe. look at the link i posted above also</p>

<p>I just visited UAB today, and i have to admit, it is one of the coolest campuses i’ve ever seen.</p>

<p>Glad you got to visit. Good luck!</p>

<p>glad you liked it mandingo!</p>

<p>Its the perfect mic between an urban and a traditional campus. It’s pretty peaceful, and it honestly seems really safe. Blazer hall was actually really cool, the small kitchenette i saw had a granite countertop! Camp hall had a small living room inside each dorm room, but it’s alot older. Hahahah only problem i have now is the money, the admission officer told me they’re raising the requirements for scholarships and they’re also about to raise tuition too.</p>

<p>once you get past 1st year, you can really reduce cost by going off campus (although dorm costs are comparatively lower than some schools) , and drastically reducing meal plan…that is one advantage to camp as they have the full kitchen, you could take the lower allowed meal plan for 1st year and cook for yourself. Heather McKnight is the scholarship coordinator she might have some info for you Contact Heather McKnight, Scholarship Coordinator in Financial Aid, at 205-934-8223</p>

<p>Son began med school at UAB on Monday. On Friday, they tour the campus. He hasn’t done that for a few years, so he’ll see some changes. </p>

<p>The med school surprised my son a few weeks ago with a merit scholarship. We already got the instate rates, so getting merit on top was a nice surprise.</p>

<p>Our son starts as a freshman in biomedical engineering this fall; he is also premed. He’ll be living in Blazer. We’ve been there twice this year, once in January for a visit and in June for honors orientation. Of all of the schools we visited and he was accepted to, he was the most excited about UAB and MIT. He chose UAB because of the opportunities in the medical field and the very generous NMF scholarship. He wants to go on to graduate school so no need to accrue a lot of debt from his undergrad education. </p>

<p>We live in a small town in Virginia but I have lived in large cities (Boston and DC). I was not nervous on campus, even when it got dark early in January. I was on alert though. I did get nervous when our son drug us off campus to eat on the last night of orientation; we walked through areas I would not consider walking through at night. Our son has never lived in a big city so I hope we got through to him about being more cautious. I was not happy when I looked up crime rates and found Birmingham had the highest crime rates of all the schools he was considering in cities like Atlanta, Richmond, Baltimore and Cambridge. I have relaxed about that after visiting. </p>

<p>I wish it were a little closer to home but I’ve been impressed by our contacts with the school. They set up a very nice visit for him in January - he got to visit the anatomy lab and I think that’s what won him over. He is registered to take that class this fall and I think that’s the class he’s most excited about. Orientation in June was very smooth although this is our first to head off to college so I don’t have anything to compare it to.</p>

<p>Good luck with your choice!</p>