University of Alabama Class of 2026 Enrolled

I thought I would start this thread for any interested students enrolled in the class of 2026 or their parents.

My S22 has enrolled and selected his dorm (Ridgecrest South). He didn’t try to match with any suitemates, so his were randomly assigned. He will be majoring in computer science and working towards an MBA.

Good luck to all of you. RTR.

My D22 will be a Kinesiology major on pre-med track. She will be living in Pres 1. She is honors, but chose to not live in Honors Dorm.

Just FYI, there are several parent groups on Facebook that are extremely active and I have learned a ton from them. The Alabama page on CC doesn’t seem to be as active.

1 Like

Good luck to your daughter. My wife is on the Facebook forums. They have been helpful.

1 Like

My son is starting in mechanical engineering. He will also be in the marching band. He picked Ridgecrest west for the dorm. He looked at the floor plan and liked something. Lol. He was assigned suite mates but I don’t think there has been any contact yet.

I’ve been looking at options for his schedule. He hasn’t yet. After graduation, we’ll talk about it together.

1 Like

Hello everyone -
I have a question for those who applied last year (or this year) - my daughter submitted her app tonight. When she took the ACT, she requested that the scores be sent to UA, so they should have them already, but on her “status” page, it says they haven’t received any test scores. So my question is…do we need to do anything to “link” the test scores to her app, or how long does it take for UA to update the app to say they received the scores?
Thanks!!

i would 1) log into your ACT account and make sure it was sent there, and see the date. then 2) call UA admissions today about it. UA gives scholarships based on ACTs quite often… . although its really late in the season for that. good luck!

Thanks! This is for Fall 2023 admission, so we have a little bit of time, but I want to make sure we are on top of everything! ACT is notorious for not doing what they’re supposed to, in my experience. :grimacing:

Thanks again!

Have you done move in? We did and it was super easy and fast! He moved early for the band, which helped I am sure. Looking forward to seeing how classes go Wednesday!

2 Likes

We moved S22 in on the 5th. I have never seen such organization. My car was unpacked in the time it took me to chain up his bike. Everything was in his room in ten minutes.

1 Like

It was crazy fast! He did send me a picture of the long line of cars during regular move in. I heard those were efficient as well. We just had no line so it was quick.

I haven’t heard from him since classes started. And have not talked to him since he got roommates last weekend. Hopefully all is well

S22 has made a few friends (which is good progress for an introvert). Honors Action was a good idea. So far, his classes have been surprisingly small.

1 Like

Any updates? Or anything you would share? I have NMSF looking at Alabama and would love to hear more about classes- size, teachers, quality-, kids, support, social life or anything. I have seen dorm issues and what appears to be little support for affected roommates from Bama. That is concerning.

My son is a NMF who is in his first semester. He is doing well, is not homesick, and enjoying his time at Alabama. I think people tend to accentuate the negative in most things, but especially with regards to certain topics. All universities currently have housing issues. It is a fact of life. Alabama, unlike say Purdue, is not housing dozens of freshman in a basement and calling it housing. Yes, a few upper-class NMFs had to share their off-campus (but still Bama subsidized) housing for a few weeks while the freshman housing crunch resolved itself. What wasn’t explained was that those students involved were the ones that were the LAST to register for housing. So…don’t wait to register (that always causes problems).

My son has several classes with fewer than 25 students. He is a freshman. He is LGBT. The support has been exceptional. Though LGBT, not in a frat, and introverted he has already found several friends on campus and is involved in several activities. But, what would you expect at any large, public university?

2 Likes

So far so good here. My son seems to be enjoying himself. He’s in the marching band so has a built-in group of people to hang out with. He watched the away game with his section last weekend. He has gone to a couple club meetings and is excited by those.

No dorm issues at this point that I am aware of. He likes his suite mates, but doesn’t see them a ton, due to band.

He only has 12 credits - so many AP/IB/Clep that it was tough finding things he was able to take and we wanted to keep it light for the first semester with band too. His classes are bigger than Peruna’s kids, but that’s okay. One is 70 kids, but it’s a working class - you don’t have to go unless you want to work with the instructor. The other big one is the required honors class for freshman (who aren’t in a dedicated program within honors). But his other engineering and calculus are both under 40, which seems good for such a big school.

I’m going to visit him soon and am really looking forward to hearing more!

1 Like

My DD is a NMF at UA, and the experience has been fabulous for her! She started at UA this past fall, and it’s been amazing. She’s doing well socially and academically, and she had the time to step out of her comfort zone and try something completely new. She walked on to one of Alabama’s D1 athletic teams (this was never a consideration for her). She’s also serving on the leadership team of one of the local churches. She couldn’t be happier.

With respect to class size, my daughter’s largest class last semester was 28 students. She had three classes with 15-20 students, and 2 classes with 25-28 students. She will have 3 of the same professors next semester, and she’s looking forward to that.

Housing for my daughter has worked out well, but I do agree that UA is very hesitant to step in when there are roommate issues, even when roommates are clearly violating the terms of the UA housing contract. If your student is seriously considering UA, please look into the various dorms. The “vibe” at each dorm differs dramatically, and I would make sure your child picks a dorm with a good fit!

As an aside, I don’t think that UA handles upperclassmen NMF housing very well. The past two years NMFs have been involuntarily moved or had students placed in their “at capacity” on campus housing the week before school has started. This has resulted in roommate groups being broken up, etc. While several students have not been affected, many have been. Last year, the housing crunch must have affected females more than males because almost every female group in on campus apartments had a freshman added to their apartment at the last minute (not referring to East Edge, which is campus sponsored off campus housing). This is really our only gripe with UA.

1 Like