University of Alabama nursing school

Does anyone know how many apply to the Capstone College of nursing at The University of Alabama every year and how many get admitted? Also what was the gpa of those who were admitted…

This should be moved to the UA forum.

Per a college website there are 411 nursing graduates a year from University of Alabama

As for the GPA, I know it’s high. And they look at science GPA as well, not just overall cum GPA

@Hoospart Here is the ADMISSIONS data from 2017- the closest to now I found

Male                                          Female                                   Total
            No. of in                           No. of in                                       No. of students in nursing  

Nursing 36 98 134

I know it is highly competitive…I was just trying to get a number of how many apply for each semester and how many get in to the nursing program…(.to get an idea of the nursing school admittance rate) I heard 92 are admitted in fall and 92 in spring? Is that correct?

Those numbers if coming from UA are accurate. UA nursing IMHO is very careful on making sure the students admitted to upper division is done using student data (student overall GPA, sciences GPA, and a test which has a score - TEAS.

IMHO all state flagship nursing programs have a lot of students that want to study nursing, but only so many clinical seats for upper division courses. In AL, AU has the same issue. There are a number of BSN nursing programs in AL. State Nursing Boards have the information on the internet about what programs are in their state.

@Hoospart I’ll bet they will share details re GPA and acceptance rate if you contact the department - good luck.

I think those numbers are close, but I think there is ALSO a summer promotion.

Per my discussions that past year, and these #'s are a little dated, the avg gpa for admittance into college of nursing after your sophomore yr was 3.6 overall and 3.2 for sciences. Keep in mind, these #'s were from Spring '16 and it was the average, so not the cut off. They wouldn’t say what the cut off gpa was.

The total admitted to college of nursing annually was 224 students, per my discussions, so maybe the is a summer promotion, but not sure.

With all of the discussions I have had with a lot of the schools, it seems like Alabama had the largest class of nursing students admitted (224)

Also, they had said, to be admitted into pre-nursing out of high school, you typically needed a 3.6 gpa or higher.

^^
Who said that? I’ve never heard that a rising frosh needed any particular GPA to be pre-nursing as a frosh. Is that true?

I just checked the website. Nothing suggests that.

Anyone get letters of acceptance for the masters nursing program? Someone I know had graduated with a 4.0 with their BSN. And has not been able to get an answer about acceptance into this program … it’s job dependent