University of Alabama: Try at your own risk

There seems to be some holes in this story…

[QUOTE=""]
@mom2collegekids helped me and she was the reason why I went

[/QUOTE]

I helped you? Uh when? You are new to CC. You joined a couple of days ago! Lol

[QUOTE=""]
When my mom called them they said that on average, 200 people per day withdraw within the first couple of weeks.

[/QUOTE]

Total BS…

[QUOTE=""]
was not going to put a burden of my parents to struggle to pay the tuition. I'm planning to transfer to either UPenn, Georgetown, Penn State, Maryland, NYU, USC, and GWU

[/QUOTE]

^^^and this is what totally destroys your credibility. If you have the stats for UPenn, Gtown and USC, your parents likely wouldn’t be paying for much or ANYTHING at Alabama.

Somebody must be bored during their spring break.

@londondad

[QUOTE=""]
" UA has(2015-2016) a 86.47% Freshman retention rate."

[/QUOTE]

Which does tell you something as neighboring schools (UGA - 94%, UF - 96%) are much higher.
<<<<

Apples and oranges. Both those schools have VERY high instate rates. Both of those schools have a large number of instate kids attending with BF and HOPE awards, so affordability and homesickness are going to be less of an issue.

As a mom who belongs to 2 UA Facebook parents groups, the most common reasons for kids to transfer are: home sick for OOS loved ones, anxiety or depression issues which are harder to deal with OOS, or can’t afford to keep paying OOS tuition (often divorced parents promised to both pay, but one ends up flaking).

So you pick several expensive publics and others known for poor aid for your new list?? “Penn State, Maryland, NYU”

^^^

Just further suggests that this thread is …well…the result of Spring Break Boredom.

Some students don’t know what they don’t know - even about themselves. So can totally agree about the slightly lower retention rate with a school that draws over half of its incoming FR from OOS. Some parents are in ‘dreamland’ about finances - and some students do go away to college and don’t academically do well because they may never have had to crack a book in HS and all of a sudden, they have chosen a challenging curriculum which requires being a good student. This includes high stat kids.I have heard where some students go to their ‘stress relievers’ like gaming and shut out their problems until grade reports come out (sometimes mid-term grades is the wake up call). Some may go to recreational drugs and alcohol to ‘chill’.

I have a friend whose S is a HS F - he is at a private Catholic HS; he said he was surprised by the amount of work compared to what was expected in 8th grade. Some HSs spoon feed the kids, and a smart kid may absorb enough attending HS classes and then get academically challenged in college.

There are a lot of adjustments beyond the academic rigor. Some students do not know how to handle the level of personal freedom, and the influences to ‘major’ in personal recreational experiences. A few may get overwhelmed by the meal system, doing their laundry, socially fitting in, etc.

Ahhh, definitely some questions about this story. Thanks for elaborating fellow CC parents!

I second everything above. Who withdraws after 2 weeks? Typically there is not a test or a quiz in that time. How “horrific” must Alabama be? Hacksaw Ridge? If any of the OP post is true, then the OP should have sought out some guidance rather than dropping out. Also odd to me that someone’s mom is calling the admissions office after the student has already withdrawn.

How else would they know that roughly 40% of the freshman class drops out in the first two weeks?

This whole post is laughable.

You guys cannot be this ignorant. I said that it was a horrific experience where there were people at parties that had pills slipped into their drinks. First off, before you come trying to act smart thinking this is some type of math problem that you guys can solve, it isn’t. If your son isn’t in a fraternity or daughter is in a sorority, then Alabama isn’t the place for them. Therefore, you can count out 60% of that. #2 my parents could have taken out loans to pay for my education if they wanted and I did not want that and neither did they. I withdrew and if you guys want to go and ask the admissions office, they will tell you how many people withdraw.

When I said struggled, I mean’t that my parents had to accumulate 22k to pay my tuition within a couple of days.

Someone tell me how to delete a post. I’ll just let you guys send your children there and they will decide for themselves after they withdraw themselves. Sorry I could’ve stayed a year and transferred, but my parents actually care about me.

“Also odd to me that someone’s mom is calling the admissions office after the student has already withdrawn.” My mom called them to get a full refund and she did. The guy in the office told her that statistic.

Your posts make no sense whatsoever. You never said ANYTHING in your OP about pills being slipped into drinks!

And were you on scholarship or not? If you were, your parents surely didn’t need to come up with $22k “within a couple of days.” If you weren’t, sorry, but your “Ivy” aspirations are pretty unrealistic. If your parents didn’t realize they had to pay for your tuition, you have bigger problems than frat parties.

As to not being in a sorority or a fraternity, the majority of students AREN’T, so I have no idea what you’re talking about or how you could have any expertise whatsoever after two weeks on campus.

Most of the people responding here ARE parents - parents of current students at UA, so take a look in the mirror before you cast aspersions.

[QUOTE=""]
Which does tell you something as neighboring schools (UGA - 94%, UF - 96%) are much higher. <<

[/QUOTE]

so what? UGA and UF are not dishing out full-tuition scholarships for OOS students with a 32 ACT.

you withdrew from the university because of frat party misbehavior? why not just stay and avoid frat parties?

OP, please explain how applying to Penn State ($45k/yr oos), Maryland ($47k/yr oos), and and NYU ($66k/yr period) fixes the problem of your parents having to scrape up $22k for Alabama?

^ he sure did pick some pretty expensive schools.