University of California vs California state university engineering program

What do you think about the undergraduate engineering program between lower tier UC and top tier CSU schools.

I understand UC are more thoery/research oriented and CSU are more hands on/career oriented, especially two Cal Polys. Any suggestions for above average students (A- to B+ student). Which system is better. I am focus on the job outlook and career path after graduation.

1 Like

I can’t speak for Pomona, but at SLO, students get full theory AND the chance to apply it in labs and clubs. You wouldn’t be giving up anything on the theory side.

That said, you get hands on at Berkeley too. I can’t speak for the rest. I just know at industry day reviewing senior projects, the people viewing projects at CP spoke of Cal Poly and UCB being head and shoulders above the rest.

Campuses and departments may differ in various ways, so it is unlikely that “all UCs” are better or worse than “all CSUs” for a given student.

There are three Cal Polys.

3 Likes

All ABET-accredited engineering bachelor’s degree programs include substantial amounts of engineering science (“theory”) and engineering design (“application” or “hands on”) in their course work.

1 Like

Indeed, but beyond that, they do differ at the margins as you know. You’re better at figuring this sort of stuff out, but it appears for example that the senior project at UCI can be as short a one quarter for MEs whereas it’s a full year at Cal Poly SLO.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.