University of Delaware Merit Scholarships

Has anyone received any information on merit scholarships? I received my truste scholarship yesterday for $64,000. OOS. I am just wondering what the various scholarships look like.
Sat: 1470
GPA: 4.6

2 Likes

I received the Trustee Scholarship for 17k annually
1390 sat and 104 weighted GPA

forgot to mention that i’m OOS

Does anyone know if you get accepted to the Honors College, if there is money given to students on top of the merit scholarships? Thanks in advance

@MOMNY0405 no there is no extra money for honors college. Generally the only way there is more merit money is if your kid is one of the 100 or so they invite to the distinguished scholars weekend where they compete for 10-20 full rides. Every kid invited and attends gets an increased merit award even if they don’t get the full ride. My D18 got bumped from the highest award at the time 15K to 24K by attending the DS weekend.

Thanks!

1 Like

When and how do students find out if they have been accepted as a distinguished scholar?

There are a few threads on here about DiScho Weekend. It’s been a while for our family, so I don’t recall the exact timing. I remember that we flew our kid back East a few days early from our Spring Break family vacation so she could go…

@ruediww as I posted on another thread in 2018 the first emails went out February 8 for a March 9-10 DS weekend. My daughter didn’t get her email until February 16.

My S got the $10k scholarship. Unfortunately, unless he receives some kind of other funding, it will be the highest cost option out of his acceptances thus far. :frowning:

What is the competition like? I didn’t know there were 10-20 full rides. Others made it sound like all distinguished scholars got the full ride.

1 Like

Distinguished scholars get additional scholarships, I don’t think they all get full rides.

Right. I had just not heard about a competition before. Wondering what that entails.

Back in 2018 when my daughter attended students could go the night before and stay with students. Then there was breakfast for parent and students. Students then spent the afternoon meeting with professors in their majors for informal interviews. There was some kind of dinner and then kids had some function at night. Students stayed in hotel paid for by school but no staying in rooms with parents. The next morning the students had small group interactions with professors, administrators etc. Then done by lunch time.

All students who attended (about 100) received an additional scholarship over and above the merit awards originally offered. Those additional awards ranged from about 5K to up to full ride for the students chosen as “Distinguished Scholars.” The full rides were about 10-20 of those that attended.

Even though my daughter didn’t get the full ride, or even go to UDEL it was a great honor to have been one of the 100 or so of all the applicants to be selected to participate.

1 Like

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your response.

Last year it was virual and spread over 3-4 days. Info sessions, including one for parents, a panel interview, and discussion with other participants that is “judged” (for lack of a better word.) I think there were about 12-15 DuPont scholarships (full rides) offered last year out of the 100 or so kids invited to participate.

1 Like

Any idea what the threshold is for a merit scholarship for OOS? My daughter is looking to apply with a 4.2 GPA and a 1190 SAT

What is her uw gpa? I think there was a shift during Covid, it appeared to be based on test score mostly when my 22 year old applied (3.9 uw - 1 B - 34 act - $17,000). During Covid, my other daughter with the exact same gpa and 33 act got $15,000, her twin with a 3.7 30 act got $10,000 I believe. So I do think test scores, at least in 2021, were taken into account for merit.

1 Like

Thanks so much!
Her UW GPA is 3.8.
Based on what you have seen, do you think $10,000–15,000 is a realistic expectation?

Also, since test scores are optional, would you recommend submitting an SAT of 1190?

It depends since they’re not really transparent anymore about test scores, before Covid they were really important for merit consideration. Maybe look at recent results threads, many mention their stats and scholarships.

1 Like