University of Illinois Urbana Champaign Class of 2027 Official Thread

Do you mind sharing her stats?

OOO son accepted for CS+Music. He applied because the program sounds really interesting to him but we have not visited. Anyone here have insights into this major beyond what we have read on the College’s page?

That is my son’s major. It is a pretty small program so all the CS+Music majors are seeing each other all the time as they are all in the same music classes. He was attracted to this rather unique major as well while he was selecting his colleges. We did not visit either since no visits were allowed during the pandemic. You have probably looked at the Degree Requirements listed here for this dual major:
Computer Science + Music, BS | University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. It gives you a good idea of the balance between music classes and CS classes.

My son is currently a sophomore with junior standing that gives him a slight edge during class registration due to a combination of AP credits and proficiency test credits that UIUC accepts. He is actually stronger in CS than in music so the bulk of his classes freshmen and sophomore year are mostly music courses. He was able to self-study for a few pre-req CS classes and passed their proficiency tests which allowed him to enroll in higher level CS classes. The priority for enrolling in CS classes is first given to pure CS majors, then CS+X majors, then the rest of the school. He did have difficulty registering for an advanced level CS class this spring, but they did open up more spots and he was one of the first ones grab those spots since he was checking every day while on winter break. We are from California so I thought the cold weather would bother him but he was fine and even wore shorts last winter (probably not right now with the Arctic front) since it was easier to just go to gym directly after class. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

3 Likes

Thank you so much, this is very helpful! What does your son ultimately want to pursue as far as a career?

His dream job would be something related to digital music production, but he would be happy in any programming or software engineering career since he looks for any excuse to write code, so he has lots of personal projects going on, both music related and non-music related. He also applied to and was accepted at other similar programs in other schools, but UIUC was his first choice due to him not wanting any performance related requirements for music plus UIUC’s strength and reputation in CS. If your son is more interested in a traditional music school curriculum with performance requirements, then this is not it.

3 Likes

unweighted 4.00 GPA weighted 4.5 ACT 35

Anyone here looking for a roommate?

The UIUC2027 instagram page is full or people looking for roommates :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Does UIUC offer any auto-admit honors acceptances or is it all “invitation to apply?”

1 Like

Last year my son received an email about a month after his UIUC acceptance. It said " I am pleased to invite you to join the Edmund J. James Scholar Honors Program in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences (LAS) at the University of Illinois." And also “To accept your invitation to LAS Honors, complete this form.” So at least for LAS, he would not have had to “apply,” but rather just accept the invitation. Not sure about the other colleges at UIUC.

1 Like

Any data on deferred applicants accepted at UIUC from past years?

1 Like

DS received merit scholarship notification from Grainger today, no specific amount.

2 Likes

My son did as well. I hope they provide more details sooner rather than later.

1 Like

are all honors program and merit scholarship decisions out?

saw on another thread that campus honors was out so I’m assuming everything is out.

in state, right?

1 Like

Out of state, EE

2 Likes

To those who have received merit/honors, does it come in an email or is it on the portal?

1 Like

There was an email addressed to my son, with both parents copied. I didn’t ask my son about the portal because I could see that the email was addressed to him with us in the Cc: field.

This is specific to Grainger merit notification. We have not seen anything related to honors.

2 Likes

I believe merit scholarships from LAS were to begin posting today… Has anyone received notifications of scholarship aid?

My son received a Grainger Engineering James Scholar Honors Program notification email today. Congrats to all who are invited into the program!

3 Likes