University of Illinois Urbana Champaign Class of 2027 Official Thread

DS23 deferred for CS + Statistics. Did not have second choice

Brain and Cognitive Sciences in College of Liberal Arts and Sciences

Got deferred but never put in a 2nd choice major, if I put one in now, is that fine? At least for a better chance RD

My kid may see her at Kelley :wink:

Would you be willing to share your daughter’s stats? In state? OO S? My student also applied Geis and was deferred. The portal did not say anything about the second major that he applied at. TIA.

I don’t think they will look at admitting into the 2nd choice major until they are denied for their first choice.

1 Like

Accepted.
OOS Mathematics and CS

2 Likes

Accepted Geis first choice OOS
3.9/4.18, 1520 SAT, executive positions at 3 companies, leadership roles in more including raising 31K for volunteer org

3 Likes

Accepted, OOS, electrical engineering, 4.0/4.78/1560, decent ECs + essays.

2 Likes

Yeah sure, OOS, GPA: 3.98 UW/4.47 W, 1450 SAT

2 Likes

It doesn’t work that way. You’ve been denied in your first choice major and accepted in your second choice major. They don’t even consider you for second choice unless you were denied first choice. CS is extremely competitive.

2 Likes

wow that kind of sucks then :frowning:

Not choosing a second choice major was problematic. You can try to appeal, it’s worth a shot, but note they do preference Illinois residents on appeal too. Here are the FAQs: https://www.admissions.illinois.edu/faq/denied-freshman

Do exactly what they tell you to do for the appeal, like it says in the FAQs…call and speak to admissions and tell them why you would like to appeal, then you fill out the appeal form in your portal. Possible things to say when you call: My 17 year old self made a mistake by not choosing a second major, since I applied I have done more research on UIUC and also am interested in X major, I will attend UIUC if admitted/it’s one of my top choices/is my top choice, etc.

Complete what the form says…typically choosing another major, and I would recommend choosing something NOT in Grainger (and remember you can not transfer into CS at a later point), and writing the same essays about it as you did for the first choice major. Laser focus on that second major at UIUC, meaning you couldn’t be talking about any other school…I want to take X class(es), do research with Prof X on Y subject, join club(s) blah blah blah.

Good luck.

1 Like

She had a 3.98 GPA, test optonal, in-state, 4 APs and multiple honors courses. She also started a business as a part of a unique program at her high school (think Shark Tank). Her entire four years were heavy with business courses, including accounting, marketing and AP Econ classes. She was also on the board of the Wall Street Investment club and held multple leadership positions. Gies is just really hard to get into.

Hi, I applied for CS as my first choice and Statistics as my second choice. I got accepted into Statistics. I’m interested in the Statistics & Computer Science program. Did my admission into Statistics also give me admission into this or is this separate?

Sounds like you were admitted to Statistics. You didn’t apply second choice to Stats plus CS, did you? Here are the requirements to transfer into CS+Stats: Transfer Students | Computer Science | UIUC

Definitely, part of the reason is that it’s pretty small at about 750 students per class. Compare that with Kelley with about 2,500 per class.

1 Like

DD accepted to Gies
In State
3.80 unweighted GPA
9 AP, 8 Honors
Test optional
Varsity tennis player, state qualifier
Strong EC
Part time job at a local business doing accounts and bookkeeping (I think this helped, this was the subject of her writing prompts).

1 Like

On the Common App, there was no option for Statistics & Computer Science as my second choice, so I applied for Statistics. I saw that site, so does that mean I can transfer to Stats & CS as long as I meet those requirements?

1 Like

CS + majors(and few others) are not allowed for second choice majors at UIUC due to their impacted nature. Looks like you’ve been admitted to Statistics only.

Oh right, I forgot the CS+X majors are space constrained so they aren’t avail as second choice majors (there are other majors like that too)

You should speak with an academic advisor to understand the situation…whether it’s a guaranteed transfer or competitive, if there needs to be space in the program, etc. I am sure someone there will help you.

1 Like