University of Kentucky scholarships

I have a couple of questions about University of Kentucky merit:

Student applying for engineering and honors college and competitive scholarships at UKY. She has a 35 ACT, 4.0 unweighted and likely will be a National Merit Finalist.

1. If a student was awarded the Singletary, can they opt for the lesser Presidential instead? I know it’s an odd question, but you have to keep a 3.5 for S and only a 3.0 for P (engineering grades seems like a lot of pressure for a 3.5)

2. Does UKY offer out of state National Merit Finalist $? I found old post but nothing recent.wondering if it was eliminated.

3. Have any of your kids gotten a partial competitive scholarship, or is it all or nothing? The 12,500 on the chart won’t be enough - but March feels so late to decide,

Thanks!

1. I don’t know. But smart to think about that.

2. UK eliminated all National Merit scholarships last year.

1. I have not heard of partial awards from the online charts. I believe it is all or nothing. The competitive scholarships are very competitive and require an interview. In person and virtual were both offered last year.

You might ask if the student doesn’t maintain the 3.5, is the scholarship lost or does she drop down to the next level, i.e, can she start with the Singletary and then drop down to the Presidential.

Ask the school about stacking, ask about the OOS NMF scholarship.

1 Like

Does anyone know when Kentucky announces merit for accepted students? My daughter received notice of admission two and half weeks ago but no mention of merit. Would love to get a sense of when she might hear about this.

A 35/4.0 will have no problem maintaining a 3.5 at UK, even in Engineering. I would encourage applying, and taking the most money they will give you.

Historically, very late. Like March-ish.

Received merit today. Received acceptance approximately five weeks ago.

3 Likes

My daughter was accepted three weeks ago and received notice of her merit award yesterday. It perfectly matched the grid on Kentucky’s website.

2 Likes

Are you referring to the 12500?
does anyone know where to look for honors college acceptance?

Lewis Honors College emails went out late this afternoon.

Curious….So if you don’t have a 3.0 you can’t get any money and have to pay full out of state tuition?