University of Maryland College Park (UMD) Early Action for Fall 2023

Anyone who’s not directly admitted into an LEP like CS, but is otherwise admissible to the college, is admitted to letters and sciences. You can then meet the gateway requirements to become a CS major in your sophomore year.

1 Like

ah okay. thx!

1 Like

My daughter got Spring admit. At the bottom of her offer it says Major:psychology. Does that mean in the Spring she enters into her desired major?

2 Likes

Yes

3 Likes

I got accepted into UMD for Fall 2023!! Here are my stats:
OOS - NJ public
Major - Biological Science: Physiology & Neurobiology
Weighted GPA - 95.979 (my school doesn’t use 4.0 scale)
APs - 5 APs, 2 junior year (AP Lang 4 and AP Stats 5) and 3 senior year (AP Bio, AP Calc AB, AP Spanish Lang)
SAT - 1440
ECs - part time job, 100+ volunteer hours at hospital, 4 honor societies (secretary of Science National Honor Society), 2 years varsity debate team, 2 years varsity sport, Seal of Biliteracy in Spanish, Senior Officer of volunteer club, tutors 2x per week

Super excited!! UMD is definitely one of my top choices.

4 Likes

Posting our son’s stats for next year:

Accepted to Journalism Major for Fall 2023 and invited to CIVICUS

SAT/ACT: TO
GPA: 3.86 UW, 4.56 W
#of AP Courses: 8 + 10 Honors (total 18 AP/Honors)
State Residency: MD
Applied date: 10/15
College: Accepted/ The Philip Merrill College of Journalism
Strong essays and LORs
Extracurriculars include: Editor-In-Chief of high school paper, 4 years on the paper in progressive roles, journalism summer course at American U during COVID, political campaign internship, and Fellow for Cong. Jamie Raskin’s Democracy Summer Fellowship program.

4 Likes

Accepted!
OOS
4.5 GPA weighted
31 ACT
Double Legacy
Neuroscience
7 APs
Good ECs
Congratulations to all those who have been accepted!!!

2 Likes

S23 - Accepted Applied Math Fall Admission
OOS - NJ
1490 / 97 - top 5%

3 Likes

“Applied Math”. That just sounds brutal! :grin: Congrats!

3 Likes

Same here. Everything was in on time. Let me know if you find out anything, and I’ll do the same.

Did you by any chance take any college classes or summer college programs? college transcripts aren’t listed on the portal and could still indicate complete or did SATs get sent late after 11/1? We called to make sure they received the college transcripts which they confirmed receipt and they told us that is it a required element of the application if college courses were ever taken- my applicant only took two but won’t show up on the portal even if it says complete.

3 Likes

Thanks for responding. Someone on the parents FB page (who works in admissions at UMD) said that Spring admits are not reviewed by LEP programs and can only be admitted into L&S in the Spring. It clearly shows at the bottom of my daughter’s acceptance letter “Major: Psychology”… so I’m confused.

2 Likes

Better him then me

2 Likes

I have seen this in the past. I believe it is uncommon.

2 Likes

Hi again. So other than not able to get Banneker Key and guaranteed housing what else my kid missed by not getting invited to Honors program?
If my daughter did well and stayed in top 25th then she can get into EHP in 3rd year right?
Anyone with daughters in Computer Engineering in Clark? How is the social life?
Thanks!

2 Likes

S23 Admitted!
Environmental Science & Policy
Invited to CIVICUS
OOS
4.0 unweighted/4.7 weighted
11 APs (5’s on all 5 taken, 6 in senior year)
1570 SAT
National ranking/awards for ECs
200+ hours community service

Any thoughts on CIVICUS and/or Somerset dorm?

2 Likes

Our son was invited to CIVICUS as well! :blush:

3 Likes

To those asking what the honors programs offer:

The honors programs have special courses aligned with the focus of the honors program (example ACES offers cybersecurity related courses) that are not open to others.
They have special (more modern dorms)
And networking events that are specific to the honors students.

1 Like

D23 accepted to CS, Honors college
OOS
GPA 4.0 unweighted
SAT 1450
No ranking
Good essay/LORs
ECs- volunteering/leadership/NHS/varsity sport

2 Likes

Thanks for all your info - DS accepted yesterday and we haven’t had a chance to visit yet so I’m learning a lot from your posts.

2 Likes