University of Maryland College Park (UMD) Early Action for Fall 2023

Agreed. I expect scholarship notifications to go out next Friday (Feb 17th).

2 Likes

UMDā€™s loss. Iā€™m sorry you all had to go through that and congrats on the other acceptances.

Same situation here too. The portal reflects submitted, the school counselor sent the transcripts before time, and yet we are told the transcripts are not complete.

The most frustrating thing about UMD is its dumb portalā€™ you have absolutely no way to initiate contact with admissions; applyMaryland at umd . edu is like a backhole. Their phone customer service has extremely limited access to application details; they said they could simply see ā€œunder reviewā€ and no other informationā€¦

It seems the CS department at UMD need to wake up and take responsibility.

2 Likes

IMO, UMD lost a huge opportunity to have someone special amongst their student population. I am glad you have some other excellent options in place.

In our case, S23 has acceptances from UMD, GA Tech, and UNC Chapel Hill for CS. In case of UMD, we had the some challenges too in terms of application complete status. We got saved by an information on another thread about emailing the admin office around 10/15.

Being a Maryland resident and a Smith grad, I have bias towards UMD, so I hope they invest in making their system better.

1 Like

I worry about kids who donā€™t have other good options and relied on their portal; for no mistake of the student, kids are penalized and it looks quite off that their lower GPA classmates get through, but this kids keeps saying he doesnā€™t know the resultā€¦ basically everyone thinks that he was denied. Its can turn into a psychological game for kidsā€¦

3 Likes

I completely agree with this. Once you apply, everything goes through the portal and when you try to call or email- you never hear back. Once, I got through, but it was a student who said they see ā€œapplication completeā€ and thatā€™s all they could tell me. Fortunately for us, it all worked out and everything was in, but for others, it is NOT a user-friendly system.

Maybe the kids can stop talking about who got in. In a year, they wonā€™t even recall if someone got into UMD or not.

Indeed. UMD was one of the top choices for my child and this really has come as a huge demotivation. For no fault of theirs, the kids are penalized.

1 Like

Any idea when they will release these decisions that are held up? Anyone having idea based on their experience in previous years?

2 Likes

Call them and ask. I was a grad student worked for smiths school of business as a grad student. One thing I do recall is that the employees are very willing to help if they can.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a UMD 2027 Parent Facebook page. You could join and ask there. There are several members who are employees or have older children at UMD. You can join before your child is admitted.

1 Like

Hi
My daughter got an email from UMD to apply for campus housing . We are still waiting to compare financial offers from various colleges It should be Ok to wait till April right? Itā€™s not like she would lose good options if we didnā€™t move ahead soon?
Appreciate your help.
Thanks!

2 Likes

The earlier you apply for housing, the better
Edited - chance
Remove ā€œchoiceā€ - per SoofDadā€™s comment.

you may have.

Reslife assigns housing in order the app is received.

ā€œComplete your Agreement by May 1 to be guaranteed residence hall housing. Assignments are based on your Housing Agreement submission date and space availability. You may submit the Housing Agreement before accepting admission to the University.ā€

1 Like

Unless things have changed, you do not get to choose a dorm. All dorm assignments are based on LLPs. Students not in an LLP will have a Dorm assigned by ResLife. However, submitting the form earlier may get you a better room in your assigned Dorm

1 Like

Thank you , I misspoke and corrected my postšŸ˜€.
If invited to an LLP, there was usually a February deadline to indicate oneā€™s preferences. Reslife will still assign.

1 Like

Thanks!

Thank you!

Over the years, I have seen many OOS students get a Presidentā€™s Scholarship in amounts ranging from $2,000 to $12,500 a year. But there is no apparent rhyme or reason to it.

2 Likes

I was wondering whether Feb 17th is predicted because of prior yearsā€™ timing? I heard others speculate last Friday of Feb., which would be Feb. 24. Thanks again for all the helpful info.

2 Likes