University of Miami Aid

Hello I heard UMiami has great financial aid and I’m currently in the application process for early admission, but I’m kinda scared that I’ll get in and won’t get enough aid to afford it thus being unable to go. I’m middle class and international from Central America so yeah I don’t know how that affects my aid.

Have you run the university’s net price calculator? It should give you an estimate of your likely cost of attendence.

https://collegecostcalculator.org/universityofmiami

Hey yeah I have tried it before but it says US Citizens and elegible non-citizens and I’m neither of those. Tried using it does not give me expected results hahaha

The University of Miami will cost over $70K per year.

https://finaid.miami.edu/cost/index.html

Since this school IS NEED AWARE, they will consider your ability to pay when they are making a decision about accepting you.

Also, the universities decide what they will give to you. It’s not based on what you think you need, it’s based on what they think they should give to you. In other words, don’t expect a full ride.

So, if I do get in, should expect less aid being international?

What they are telling you is that if you need money, you may be rejected. That’s what “need-aware” means. If you are international, you don’t have the option of receiving any federal or state funding, so some of those monies will not be available to you and the school would have to try to fund you in some other way. If they don’t have the money, they can’t fund you. You have to pay.
With Covid, a number of schools have lost money in their investments. No one knows how the schools will fund upcoming students.

@TigerInWinter net price calculators are not accurate for international students. Often, not even a close estimate.

@adrianabrust if a school is need aware for international students, you need to understand that your financial need will be considered when your application for admission is considered. In addition, University of Miami does not guarantee to meet full need for anyone including international students.

So, if you have significant financial need, it is very possible that the school won’t accept you at all…or you will be accepted with very insufficient aid to attend.

Sure, apply and see…but do you have affordable options with excellent chances of acceptance on your application list too? If not…find those now.

How much are your parents able and willing to pay annually for you to attend college…out of pocket.

Right, I should have remembered that! Thanks for the correction, thumper1, and I’m sorry for the misinformation, Adrianabrust.

Okay thanks everyone will definitely take into account everything you said :slight_smile: