University of Miami Class of 2027 Official Thread

Does anyone know how Miami prioritized freshman housing? Is it a lottery or the earlier you accept the higher you are prioritized?

2 Likes

This is concerning to me, too, and confusing. If we all find out decisions on one day in late March, should we be doing anything now about housing? Will it be a scramble on that day? I hope someone can answer your question.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure how they prioritize housing selections, but Miami has sufficient housing for all fall freshman admits that donā€™t live locally. Itā€™s their sophomore year when things get dicey with respect to on-campus housing.

3 Likes

Canā€™t speak specific to Miami but attended an info session at a different school a few weeks ago and they said that once 5/1 hits and they have their ā€œAdmitted classā€ then they use a random lottery to assign time spots to select housing on dates in the summer. Gives time for some kids to research and figure out if there are roommates they already want, etc. The process seemed logical and Iā€™d be surprised if most didnā€™t follow something similar.

2 Likes

Good afternoon, thank you for offering to answer different questions. If you apply RD, does Umiami look at your mid-year grades for senior year?

yesā€¦they needed to be in by last friday

Even if they do not appear as a requirement on the application portal? I donā€™t mean the junior year grade but the mid-year senior year grades. Are you sure?

1 Like

Do you think itā€™s mandatory, even if they use the words ā€œyou may wishā€ to submit a new academic piece? Do they review those grades for regular decision applications or especially for the deferred applicant as a new piece of information that you may wish to submit? Are you a parent/student or are you part of the admission team?

Sorry, unclear of your situation. Are you (or child) regular decision or deferred? Iā€™m a parent. IMO (yes, opinion) deferrals were because they wanted more information. If the original submission was good and suitable for an offer, would not have been deferred. If the original submission was bad enough to not be considered at all it would have been denied. Deferral suggests they want more information AND to compare against RD applicants.

It seems standard at many schools that they automatically send mid-year grades (naviance, parchment).

All schools seem to be a little different from one another in their approach and if youre looking for definitive information would suggest reaching out to the admissions advisor listed when you log into your portal.

Thank you, @Mashinations! yes, applied RD, and sent a message but I am sure they must be so busy with the readings. I will be waiting to hear from @UMiami_Ambassador1 to understand if they need the mid-year grades for regular decision and if they consider them as part of the GPA. Good luck to your student!

2 Likes

I donā€™t think you need to send mid year grades if you applied RD. You also donā€™t need to submit them if you were deferred. I was specifically told that by admissions and have it as a checklist item on your status page. We sent in mid year grades anyway.

@UMiami_Ambassador1
My son was deferred from ED1 at the University of Miami back in December. We have already toured the campus and we are returning next week for an information session and Q&A at the business school. He will also have a chance to sit in on a class. We emailed his admissions rep to see if we could stop in for an introduction, but she will not be on campus. Any suggestions on how to make this a stand-out visit? (He already knows the questions he is going to ask.)

2 Likes

Hi there. Our daughter is a current freshman Singer Scholar. I will tell you what I WISH I knew last year. It is a real crapshoot if they get housing after freshman year. My daughter put $ down early to try to secure housing for sophomore year, but they now changed the system. It is NOT based on date. Itā€™s a lottery. She did not get housing for next year, and if you look at off campus housing, the costs are insane. Had I know that last year, we would have taken her other offer (not as much in tuition but ends up even with housing/cost). Plus, guaranteed on campus all four years if you want it. My son was accepted 2027 at Miami and we told him today we will not allow him to go there. I would never send another kid when they cannot ensure housing and off campus is around 2K/month per kid to live.

4 Likes

When I look at the room and board costs at the various schools where our Senior has been accepted, Miami is a MASSIVE outlier, on the order of 50% higher than all of the other schools to which he has been accepted, which include one large state school, a mid-sized regional university, and a handful of small liberal arts colleges. I donā€™t see any way that I can stomach those costs at Miami and the uncertainty with respect to housing of which you write. Put simply, I donā€™t see any way that Miami is worth those numbers. There are many other better options, in my opinion.

4 Likes

are we still thinking 4/1 for RD?

If you look at the thread for last year it would look like it dropped on 3/18 at 4:00 ET. Not for certain to be 3/17 this year but a pretty good indication it will be before 4/1.

I tried to find thatā€¦ thanks:o)

2 Likes

I actually agree, itā€™s really looking a little too much. Plus, my daughter asked some questions to admissions today and the answers were a bit discouraging. Freshmen canā€™t have cars on campus and housing is not guaranteed, but they do their best to specifically accommodate all first year students. Itā€™s a little scary to think of sending her across the country and she may not even be on campus.

2 Likes

I would have been surprised if they did allow freshmen to have cars - itā€™s a pretty densely populated area, I would imagine parking is at a premium.

I do wonder however how they reconcile the housing statement against their own publication which specifically states that non-local first year students are required to live on campus 2 semesters. Unless they feel the ā€œas long as space is availableā€ gets them out of it. Iā€™m not saying they donā€™t exist but Iā€™ve yet to see any college that publishes housing being guaranteed all 4 years. Though some will guarantee so long as you continuously live on campus (donā€™t move off-campus at some point and then want to go back).