University of Miami Gay Scene Question - For Current Students

<p>Hey Guys,</p>

<p>I was wondering if any current students could talk about what gay life is like on campus. Is there homophobia/discrimination that you have ever seen? Are there many gay people on campus and are they open about it? How much of a part of the culture is it? How strong is the LGBT community? I believe that many UMiami kids are into sports, but are there lots of close-minded jocks on campus? (Just repeating what I heard from someone else who said that UMiami is full of homophobic rich kids).</p>

<p>Any input? I love the campus and Miami as a city! How is gay life in Miami itself? Thank you so much!</p>

<p>As a gay student at UM, I feel that the community is very accepting. I’ve never met anyone who had an issue with my sexuality. There’s actually a relatively new gay fraternity (see [The</a> Miami Hurricane Gay, bisexual-friendly fraternity adopted](<a href=“http://www.themiamihurricane.com/2010/04/25/gay-bisexual-friendly-fraternity-adopted/]The”>http://www.themiamihurricane.com/2010/04/25/gay-bisexual-friendly-fraternity-adopted/)) The fact that it was approved with a 10-2 vote (83%) helps to illustrate how accepting the community is. There’s also other clubs, like Spectrum and Students for Equality, which help gay students to bond and promote gay rights. Gay people on campus are quite open about it, but of course, if there are lots of people in the closet, then I wouldn’t exactly know this :slight_smile: But I do know quite a few gay people who are very open about their sexuality, and they’ve never been hassled for it.</p>

<p>How is gay life in Miami? South Beach > San Francisco. That’s all you need to know :slight_smile: Also, Key West is 3-4 hours from campus, and it has a very large gay population.</p>

<p>If you have any more specific questions, I’d be glad to answer them :)</p>

<p>I graduated last year and I can’t speak from first-hand experience, but I had several gay friends while I was at UM and they were totally open about it. I can’t really compare to other schools since I’ve only gone to this one, but there was a large gay community at UM and no one seemed to have a problem with it. SpectrUM has a pretty large presence on campus and I’ve never heard anything about anyone being derogatory towards them. I’d definitely say UM is very open to it, as is Miami as a whole.</p>