University of Miami HPM (Health Professions Mentoring) Details

Hello all,

So the time has come for me to finally make a CC account as my last resort. I have scoured the internet and it seems that there barely any verified information on the U’s HPM program. If there are any current students in this program, or anyone who knows someone in this program, I would greatly appreciate some help in making my decision!

To give you some background: I applied to variety of UG and BS/MD programs and schools. So far, I’ve been accepted to UMKC 6 (In-state), Siena/AMC (8 yr, no mcat), SLU Med Scholars, and Miami HPM. My two top choices right now are Miami HPM and UMKC 6. Siena’s campus didn’t appeal to me, and SLU’s program seems unnecessarily risky/not a real guarantee. UMKC is nice because there’s no MCAT and its 6 years, but it does sound like a very tight squeeze with little room to grow and develop as a person, freely. Miami appeals to me because it has a great location and it sounds like I’ll be getting the normal summer breaks and opportunities to study abroad.

HOWEVER, the information on the website on this program doesn’t seem very detailed at all. It says that the program is basically just an “enriched” version of the pre-med track, and that students don’t get a guaranteed spot in the Miller SOM. It then proceeds to say that if students in HPM get a min. MCAT score, they will be given acceptance to the Miller SOM?

I need to know the following things:

• How many people are in the program each year?
  • Is HPM like SLU med scholars, in which the students basically still have to interview and apply as med students & only a select # in the program actually MAKE it in the med school?
  • How difficult and rigorous is it to manage the HPM activities? Is the program in itself difficult, or Is it just as difficult as any Miami pre-med student would have it?
  • How often do students in the program drop out, either because they didn’t maintain the GPA or get the min MCAT score? Are there any other reasons HPM students don’t matriculate?

If there is anyone who can offer any insight at all, I would be very appreciative. It also seems like they’ve changed the program a multitude of times in recent years, so please offer me the most up to date info if you have it! I’m still pretty surprised by the lack of info on the internet and the fact that I was accepted without interviewing…

(would also love to hear about anyone’s thoughts on UMKC 6 and how it compares to Miami HPM!)

Where did you end up going? Can you tell us your thoughts on where you are.
Thx!