University of Miami life/premed

<p>Hey guys, I'm a junior from NY and I've been looking at the U lately. It seems like an amazing school, with great location, size, opportunities, athletics, and academics. But, I still have a few questions about the school:</p>

<p>1-What are the people really like? I know that this is such a generalization and you can never say that all 10,000 undergrads share the same personality traits, but you know what I mean...what is the "vibe" of the campus? Are people nice and eager to make friends, or are they stuck up and superficial (as some people say they are at the U?) Are people intelligent or always looking to party (or both?) Are the guys attractive?</p>

<p>2-What kind of options for going out are there for freshman/under 21? I hear that South Beach and the Grove are both amazing party spots, but is it only for upperclassmen?</p>

<p>3-How is the premed program at UM? I've heard that the teaching hospital is great and that since it has a good medical school it opens a lot of doors to undergraduate research, volunteering, internships, etc. Is it hard to get an A (aka is there a lot of grade deflation/inflation?) Do most students seem to have learned a lot and feel well prepared for medical school?</p>

<p>4-How is the merit aid? I've heard that it is really good at UM and that even though it's a private school, many people end up getting great packages and don't have to pay THAT much.</p>

<p>Thank you guys so much for your help, I know its a lot of questions lol but I'm really interested and just wanted some input on these topics :)</p>

<p>Student here at the U :slight_smile:
1- There are quite a variety of people I’ve met here. I had expected rich, stuck up kids, but barely anyone I’ve met has been that way so far, and I’ve met a LOT of people. A LOT of people here are really smart, and down to earth. The east coasters tend to be pretty big partiers and a bit more snobby, but that’s a generalization and by all means does not mean all of them. There are a lot of international students, too. I guess a lot of people here are well-dressed and do have money, but no one is really in-your-face about it. I’ve met a lot of friends I can talk to intellectually and just kind of hang out with, because I’m not crazy on the whole clubbing scene. I like to go out to parties, but I love to hang out and talk to people just as much if not more.
2- The Grove is actually mostly freshman, but really is only somewhere to go on Tuesdays or Thursdays. It’s dead Friday and Saturday, but a lot of places will let you in as an 18 year old. Don’t bother with South Beach, though. It’s extremely strict, and you need a legitimate 21 year old to go anywhere, let alone A LOT of cash. There are always house and frat parties on the weekend too, and those are always a lot of fun. I’ve actually had a lot of fun just living the dorm life and hanging with my friends in dorms.
3- I can’t give you any feedback on the pre-med, because I am only a freshman and am not pre-med. I know a lot of the freshman premed classes are difficult though and weed-out many pre-med students.
4- I’m not completely sure on that, but I did get a pretty good scholarship being a white girl from the suburbs with an above average GPA and test scores. Not a ridiculous amount, but good.
Let me know if you have any more questions!</p>

<p>How much was your scholarship, Sammiejo? And what were your stats?</p>

<p>I’m not sure, I think it was like $20 grand or somewhere around there. I had a 31 ACT and a 4.2 GPA, but I was like top 7% of my school.</p>

<p>Thanks Sammiejo! Very helpful and informative. Good to know that there is a good mix of nightlife/hot people and scholars/intellect. Very important to me :)</p>

<p>is anyone majoring in premed class of '18?</p>

<p>I am! But premed is a track apparently: not a major :/. We’ll need to either major in bio or chem, or anything as long as we complete the pre requisite courses for med (or, for me, optometry) school! :)</p>

<p>darnit and oh ok cool yea ill probably end up majoring in business or something totally unrealated while taking the pre reqs for med school lol</p>

<p>Haha that sounds good! I might end up majoring in chem engineering :slight_smile: hopefully I’ll see you around, nonetheless!</p>

<p>I am on the premed track for the class of '18 as well! :)</p>

<p>Me too although I’m not sure if I’m going to attend UM</p>

<p>I’m actually hoping. To study premed at Miami! I applied ED and I’m just waiting to hear back! But if I get in I’m studying premed and majoring in neuroscience! I heard they have a great program</p>