University of Miami Merit Scholarship Awards- prospective class of 2021

For those admitted to the University of Miami in the class of 2021: How much aid did you recieve through merit scholarships that everyone was automatically considered for? What was your gpa, course rigor, and test scores that earned you this award?

I was admitted w/ 18k per year President’s Scholarship.
UW GPA: 3.7
W GPA: 4.4 (but I’ve been more along 4.7 in the past two years)
ACT: 34
5 AP Courses total (everything else was at least honors) w/ a 5 in US History and a 5 in Spanish Lang
Currently taking AP Spanish Lit, AP Bio, AP Calc BC, Biochemistry, and Research and Debate.

Does anyone know if Pitt will increase merit awards once made? My daughter did receive a merit award, $5,000 a year for the nursing program, but she has received awards twice that from several other nursing programs. She would really like to go to Pitt but I’m afraid we need the increased merit award. We didnt know if they ever make adjustments. Thanks.

@judyjudyjudy This thread is about University of Miami, not Pitt

UM is now charging $1900.00 per credit hour… whatever you get in Merit Aid (or tuition discount might be a more accurate description), the school is still very expensive compared to its peers, like UF and FSU. I suppose only you can determine if the value is there… but stay away from Student Loans if at all possible.

DS was admitted w/ 19k per year President’s Scholarship, plus a smaller scholarship (Henry Caballero) of $2k/year.
UW GPA: 3.7; W GPA 4.0 (but freshman year was the clunker, his GPA for 10-12 is 4.0 UW, 4.8 W).
SAT (new): 690 M, 700 V (not superscored)
10 AP Courses total – Bio; Eng Lang, US Hist, Comp Sci 1, US Gov, Calc AB, Econ (micro & macro), & Enviro Sci. EC involvement in Miracle League (helping disabled kids thru baseball); Varsity baseball 3yrs & Captain Sr year.
Geographic: San Diego

got around 18K per year presidential . My question is : Will UM allow stacking presidential scholorship and national merit scholarship ( Benacquisto ) approximately 18K Per year ( such as florida incentive scholarship ) that offers full COA as per florida public university . This will be the deciding factor whether to go public or private?

@florida789
UM would allow stacking with Benacquisto because Benacquisto is provided by the state and UM scholarship is provided by the college.

The problem is… UM is not a Benacquisto school.

Thanks .yes UM is listed under Benacquisto as per this link

http://www.floridastudentfinancialaid.org/SSFAD/factsheets/FIS.pdf

However, UM financial aid does not mention about this specifically in UM website . Has anyone stacked in the past?

I apologize. I stand corrected. I too, then, am interested.

I would assume it’s stackable with everything (since I believe the state pays for it to keep high tier students in Florida)
I would also assume you are given the same amount of money every year no matter which college you go to on that list. Probably COA for the average public state college (say UF) is given to a Benacquisto student at UM.

Thanks AimingTop50

@florida789

I am 90% sure that you will receive COA of a public college at UF.

And according to UM’s website
http://finaid.miami.edu/types-of-aid/scholarships/new-freshmen-or-first-year-students/index.html

You cannot receive above cost of attendance from all sources of grants, scholarships (from UM or not … Benacquisto is not from UM I believe, it is from the state)

If you applied to UF, I’d recommend placing that as your number one (if it is in fact your number one) because you can receive above cost of attendance in scholarships as income.

Hey everyone! I was accepted ED2 and was awarded a 25k yearly Presidential Scholarship… I am not insanely impressive academically, my strengths were concentrated mostly in my extracurriculars and I guess my recommendations/essays… I had a 3.6 UW/3.9W from a very competitive high school (we don’t rank), my test score was a 30 on the ACT. Like I said, I believe it was my extracurriculars that really got me in. It goes to show that scholarship evaluation is pretty holistic.

I was also awarded a President’s Scholarship of $25000. UW GPA 3.97. ACT 35 SAT 2310 (old score taken in 2015) SAT subject tests chemistry 760 Math 2 800 (subject tests taken in 2014), mostly AP classes. National Merit finalist, Extra curricular - black belt in karate, Suzuki Level Book 4 in piano, 12 hours per week part time job, over 500 hours of volunteering and involvement in various in school and outside school clubs.

I was also invited to a Singer Scholarship weekend this past weekend at the University of Miami which included two days of activities, tours, model classes, Q&As, and face time with faculty members. I just came back from that. If awarded it would cover full tuition.

Doraemon33004

At first I got a President’s Scholarship of 25000. Earlier this week, I got the Singer Scholarship worth Full Tuition.

Unweighted GPA: 4.21; Weighted GPA: 4.54
ACT: 32 superscored: 34
SAT subject tests: 800 Math 2, 730 Biology-M
I took pretty much the most rigorous course load that was possible at my school:

AP Courses: World History, Chemistry, Calc AB, Calc BC, APUSH, Physics 1, Biology, English Lang, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Latin, English Lit, Statistics, Physics C (both mechanics and E&M)
I was a National Merit Finalist. Extra Curricular: academic (language, science, math) competitions, Varsity Track and Field, lots of community service, internships in research labs

When did Miami acceptances go out? Did all of you apply ED or EA? My D hasn’t heard anything yet.We applied RD. Thanks!

I think RD has not come out, which also raises the question for me about aid. Does that mean that if you applying for a program that doesn’t announce until March, you are not able to get the Presidential/Singer, etc scholarship. I assume everyone who went to the weekend interviews was already accepted. Is that true?

That’s what I was wondering. Do you know @beaglemom mom what date we hear for program acceptance?

@beaglemom Based on last year, lots of RD kids got the Presidential Scholarships.