University of Miami Spring 2024 Admits

I also am concerned about housing. My daughter will either study abroad in the fall or take classes at FAU, but she is dead set on U Miami. I am afraid that if she does not live on campus at Miami, getting involved socially at the school will be more difficult. Unfortunately the link provided in the acceptance letter did not give much information at all. If we sign that we commit will they provide more information? Also, I’m wondering if there is any possibility of being moved up to Fall admittance after they have received all of their decisions?

My son started this Spring at UM and after we committed, we did not receive any additional information. In fact during our first Zoom meeting after we committed we learned that on-campus housing was neither required or guaranteed. We learned at orientation this past January that a total of 315 Spring starters were able to get “on campus housing”. Quite a few were housed at the Thesis Hotel right across Dixie Highway.

We never inquired about getting moved up to a Fall start and were not aware of any that managed to accomplish this change. I hope this helps.

Does anyone know how hard it is to get into The Rome program?

Did any of your kids get into the Marine program? We didn’t visit prior and now reading that campus is 8 miles from main. Wondered if anyone visited. We are in San Diego.

Did/Does your son have a car or does he walk/bike to campus from The Standard? Knowing Dixie Highway like I do in that area, was he ever concerned for his safety crossing the street? My other son at UF lives in The Standard (similar building, same well managed company, much lower rent) which is directly on a busy road, but not nearly as trafficked as Route 1. They’ve had numerous fatalities the past two years from students crossing the road and many more injuries. Just curious about his experience given they are back and forth to campus day and night.

My son is set on enrolling without any thought to the housing situation. So I am trying to manage expectations while ensuring there will be affordable housing for him that allows him to have the campus experience he envisions. The U could have done a much better job managing new dorm construction, but they don’t have to as every seat will be filled either way, with tens of thousands of others wishing they had been accepted.

One other question about The Standard in Coral Gables… Does your son have his own apt. or is he sharing a two or three bd.? I’m trying to get a better understanding for rents in the area close to campus since the odds are he will be living off campus his first year and beyond. Thank you!

For this semester, my son walks to campus. He has easy access to a traffic light that makes crossing Dixie Hwy pretty safe if you are careful. He can also walk up a little further north to the foot bridge (right at the TGIF restaurant) that takes you to the heart of campus. He will probably have a car for the Fall Semester but he could have taken since Freshmen living off campus can get parking on campus now.

The apartments at The Standard have an A room and a B room so you rent the room (that has a separate lock) and then you share the living room and campus. The rent increase at the Standard was much less than the % increase for on campus housing for next year. We decided to forgo on campus housing because we didn’t want to deal with any last minute stress of not getting anything and finding out last minute. There were at least several families at orientation that got shut out and were livid about it. We made the decision to attend UM regardless on housing and decided to let it go. I found the Standard to be the best option given its proximity, cost, and the fact that all units are furnished.

I hope this helps!

1 Like

Our son has been admitted for Spring 2024 but we haven’t received a financial offer. Still in the works or simply not coming - what do you think?

Nothing here yet

1 Like

Nothing here yet either

1 Like

I think they said mid-April for financial offers and most likely no merit for Spring admits.

1 Like

Yes, absolutely. Very helpful. I wasn’t aware of the crossing bridge. Not sure how I’ve missed that so many times but it is a relief knowing that is there. He’ll be staring at his phone either way, so hopefully he will use the bridge. I meant to ask about parking on campus for students living off campus, but it appears the U has enough spaces to accommodate the number of cars. The proximity of The Standard to campus makes it an excellent option but the cost is well more than double what my student at UF pays. Life in paradise…Thanks again.

Does anyone know if housing/dorms are guaranteed for a January start?

No they are not. On campus housing is not required nor guaranteed for Spring semester starts.

thanks!