University of Michigan- class of 2026 waitlisted /rejected candidate

My D is class of 2026 and applied to UMich as an EA applicant for Fall 2022. She was waitlisted until June end/July beginning and was eventually rejected. It was stated in her rejection message that she would have priority over other candidates if she is interested in transferring in junior year since she was waitlist for a very long time. I remember seeing several other posts confirming the same. She no longer has access to the application portal and cannot even confirm what was stated in her portal at the time of rejection, there was no email confirming the same. I’m just curious to know if anyone has gotten transfer to University of Michigan after being waitlisted and rejected as a freshman applicant. Appreciate all feedback and comments in this matter. Thank you!

I can’t remember the exact wording in my kid’s portal, but I remember from other posts that there seemed to be some mild variation in wording for these “invitations” to reapply as transfers (across the many, many kids with CC-posting parents who were EA deferred then RD waitlisted…)

Is your kid Instate or OOS?

OOS, we are in NJ and D is currently studying in California. Wanted to understand if there was any merit to the junior year transfer offer and if waitlisted kids have any advantage over other transfer kids.

Thank you!

I encourage your D to reach out to the transfer admissions people at Michigan, they are very helpful.

2 Likes

I don’t know the wording on the rejection letter for my S but it was a similar timeline. He was accepted yesterday as a sophomore transfer for fall '23 and the turn around time on his application was very quick. Don’t know if that had anything to do with his long waitlist last year or not. He had a 3.96 last semester, 3 professor letters, and completely reworked his essays, but kept everything consistent with last year’s application. Whatever it was, it worked! Good luck to your D

1 Like

forgot to add - in-state and legacy too

Congratulations on the good news!! Will your student make the transfer? Wondering if you have any thoughts on why they didn’t get in for first year? They sound like they are going to do great regardless of the path!

1 Like

Yes, he’s definitely going. As to last year, who knows - college admissions has just gotten crazy. If I had to guess I’d say he expressed interest in a STEM major, but went test optional and his AP’s were weighted more in the non-STEM areas (which had a lot to do with the way the curriculum is set up at his school). I also suspect Michigan’s yield was high and there was little to no waitlist movement, but we have to wait until they release the Common Data Set to confirm.

Thanks for the info and congrats again. I have a junior applying (also legacy, out of state) next year. I have two in-state nieces with strong applications who never got off waitlist in last few years so I’m aware of how difficult the admissions landscape has become. Glad for your ds! Go Blue