University of Michigan EA Class of 2025

Silence.

2 Likes

Once again @UMich- my EA application submitted in October. Postponed EA. No News today.
If you have already decided to deny me- release the damn decision and let me put it to rest and move on. UMich has to know which apps they don’t want at this point.

9 Likes

I think many of the high stat kids will still get in. It is very frustrating, I know. Last year my son was deferred twice before being waitlisted (for College of Engineering) and then ultimately he got in off waitlist in late April. Can I ask how your student was already admitted to an Ivy? If they were accepted for early decision, they would have already had to withdraw all other applications, and if they weren’t accepted early decision, how does he/she know already? Just curious since my twins (one in for LSA and one in for Ross) are waiting on a couple Ivy decisions, but I thought they were released all together on same day.

3 Likes

California.

I tell the story about a CC parent who had a son with a 4.0/1,600 that was deferred EA, waitlisted and then ultimately rejected by UMich. Of course, he eventually decided to attend Cal Tech.

I can’t explain it, at least well, but these top end schools aren’t trying to fill their classes with the highest stat kids. Sometimes there are too many of one sex, maybe, or too many from one state, or even too many in-state, maybe, or too many CoE (or pick a school) applicants, etc. I just dunno.

2 Likes

Any rejections?

Some ivies have non-binding SCEA (Single Choice Early Action)

3 Likes

Postponed students won’t be postponed again.

Did your son apply to LSA? From which state?

My student is a “likely letter” RD admit to the Ivy. So, technically not admitted yet, but pretty much is a guarantee of admission unless (as he puts it) “he %$&#s up” this semester.

2 Likes

Then your student has a much better place to be. He/She shouldn’t be worried about UM at all. Enjoy the achievement.

1 Like

Thanks so much for your reply. Applied to LSA from Ohio. I’m not sure what you mean- seems like he is still postponed? No news today. He is so disappointed- he was super serious about UM.

If you don’t want to wait another 3-4 weeks then withdraw your application.

At this point, it’s not about needing more time to look at your application before deciding. It’s about needing more time to look at the other applications. Then figuring out who they want to prioritize with their offers.

4 Likes

Actually I disagree that an Ivy is much better" than UM just because it is an Ivy. In his case, I think that UM has the better programs for what he wants to study. Which is why I continue to encourage him to consider UM and why the admission to the Honors College still matters to us as a family.

4 Likes

Congrats to your son. :+1:

My D was accepted today, I was pleasantly surprised. She is beyond excited.

3.98 GPA/5.2 HPA, 30 ACT (that’s why we were surprised), 10 AP’s, 9 Dual Enrollment
OOS - Florida, Legacy (Law School)
and full pay
LSA, did apply to Ross, but she doesn’t care.

9 Likes

Sounds like they may be protecting, under assumption with those stats he may opt for Ivy League, which comes out April 6th? Have seen it with other kids with very high stats like your son’s. Hang in there. Just wondering if, in fact, he did apply to any Ivies?

3 Likes

Just found out I got into LSA with 3.8 uw, 4.0 w! OOS

8 Likes

Congrats to all those accepted. To those not you still have another round to go. But… I would start looking at your other options and learn about them. Good to be ready with whatever future decisions you will have to make.

1 Like

Thanks for affirming what I’ve been saying on CC often. I have one kid at an Ivy and one at a highly regarded Honors Business Program. Just because a school is in the Ivy League it doesn’t mean it is necessarily the best fit for everyone and an Ivy is not always all that. I constantly hear parents even at that Ivy say, “but it’s xxx” for things that happen that they don’t like there, assuming because it’s an Ivy their kids will get special treatment. No, there is no special treatment just because it’s an Ivy. These are kids. They won’t necessarily get better jobs, and they will still have to prove themselves. And, there is plenty of partying, drugs, drinking, etc. at those schools too. You’re giving your son great advice and keeping his mind open is great parenting. Kudos to you!

4 Likes

@danloeb Thanks so much for offering some hope to the many students who were postponed and didn’t hear anything today. Does not hearing back today make admission to Ross less probable?

2 Likes