University of Michigan vs University of Pennsylvania vs University of San Francisco:Nursing

I’m interested in all three of these schools but as I do more and more research, I’m starting to lean towards San Fran and Michigan. I know that UPenn is an ivy league school but it’s not accredited for its DNP program like San Fran (I believe) is. Also Michigan and San Fran have direct entry BSN programs and when I’ll want my DNP, I can go from a BSN to a DNP without having to take my masters then my DNP. If anybody can provide more information on these schools and explain why I should attuned one more than the other, I’ll happily listen as I need the advice. Thank you!
Note: I want to be a Family Nurse Practitioner.

Is cost not a factor?

Are you in state for Umich?

I live in NC and cost is a factor but I won’t really let that hold me back as much.

I think you should go to USF. Nurses make lots of money in SF and the school would probably be the cheapest if you receive merit aid.

Thank you ucla. I am starting to get more and more interested in USF as I don’t think I’ll adapt to the cold as easily as I think I will.

UPenn has excellent need-based financial aid that often results it in being the most affordable option for a middle income family. However, it is one of the most difficult places for admission in the US.

U Michigan provides little aid for out of state students. Their out of state tuition is very high.

Just make sure you also apply to some affordable options that are also admissions safeties. However, there are few direct entry nursing programs in the SE US.

If you have the grades and scores to get into UPenn, I would definitely look at UVa’s nursing program. They have an excellent program and provide excellent financial aid for out of state US students, although not quite as generous as Penn. The list price of UVa’s out of state tuition is high, like U. Michigan. U Del is another excellent nursing program with highly competitive admissions, and they offer some merit and need based aid, but not as much as UVa’s need based aid.

I would not worry about Nurse Practitioner programs at this time. You will need some experience to get into a good program, and are likely to go to a different school than your undergrad college.

Even if you could afford it, if you are not eligible for aid, I am not sure I would recommend spending $240K for a nursing degree, which is the list price of U Michigan, UPenn and UVa. It would be better to go to a school that offers you merit aid in that case, and save your money and loan capacity for grad school. The starting salary for a grad from U. Penn for nursing will not be that different than a grad from another quality nursing program that costs half as much.

UMich and USF offer bsn to dnp programs without experience which I LOVE! I would rather get all of my degrees in one run than have to get my bachelor then my masters, work for a year, then get my DNP.

And thank you @Charliesch

I suggest talking to some people who know more about the training than I do. I would think you would be much more successful in a Nurse Practitioner program with a few years of experience. You will be effectively competing in classes with people with much more experience. (I know my daughter said she learned more in a summer working as a nursing assistant than she learned in some of her initial undergrad clinicals)

Besides if you get a RN job with a good employer, they may subsidize some of the costs of taking part-time courses while you work towards a Nurse Practitioner degree. Otherwise, you may be taking out an enormous amount of debt to stay in grad school full time.

Michigan is offering more and more aid to out of staters. My daughter is a nursing major there, we are full pay…did not apply for any thing and they just gave her very nice totally unexpected merit aid package. Since we never asked for it and definitely don’t have need, it’s clear there is more money to be had than in the past. So do NOT write it off til you see what they offer! Also lmk if you have specific questions!

I just looked - U. Michigan OOS is 45K a year tuition for the first 2 years and 48K a year tuition for the last 2 years. That is painful. Of course, that doesn’t include housing or food. Plus there are additional fees for nursing. It would take a very large merit grant to make that affordable for most families. UVa has similar list prices, but UVa offers substantial need based aid to most out of state US students. For many middle income families, that UVa aid will bring the cost down to an in-state tuition level they would pay at their own state flagship.

I agree with maya54. Umich nursing apparently got a large donation. They are throwing money at their students without asking. My dd got a merit scholarship increase this year. We are not qualified for any aid.
For the direct NP, my dd, a senior, said she didn’t hear anything about it this year. It sounded like they are changing because the program requires PHD soon. She and I are determined for her to try the anesthetist route so she is not seriously looking into this program though.
UMich is an excellent choice. I am not sure you want to pay premier for a nurse degree. They all get paid the same after graduation. I wouldn’t pay the extra for UPenn.