University of Michigan Waitlist Class of 2025

The University of Texas at Austin.
Did you even know this was an option? Winter 2022 start?
I’ve never heard of this before.

nice…congrats on UT. No, never heard of this before either.

1 Like

Purdue is a great school, highly underrated IMO

2 Likes

I received a email from my admissions counselor. Unfortunately looking like they will not be admitting any students off the waitlist this year. As of right now the class is full.

1 Like

WOW… okay didn’t have high hopes but sad…

1 Like

may I ask when did you receive the email and what is the exact content of the email?

1 Like

Truly a bummer. It’s been nice reading this thread and worrying/speculating alongside you guys. I hope you all have a great experience at the college you decide to commit to!

1 Like

yes ditto, what was the context of the email?

1 Like

also kinda skeptical. if cal had to extend their waitlist opt-in deadline due to a lack of opt-ins and Michigan is about on par with cal how could Michigan be 100% full? This would be the first time in 6 years they don’t move to a waitlist and Michigan didn’t even have a large amount of gap year spots taken for covid.

1 Like

Maybe they expected lower yield and accepted more people accordingly?

1 Like

I agree… even in the Fall of 2019 they took 2% of applicants off their waitlist. It’s very unlikely they would be at full capacity.

Then they wouldn’t feel the need to waitlist so many applicants

Michigan has looked like they’ve had a a hugh yield. A lot of kids that would’ve gotten into Ivies didn’t and are instead headed to Michigan. Michigan being in the Midwest gets a much higher draw of those kids than Cal which gets more of the West Coast crowd. Michigan gets the East and West coast kids. I can’t tell you how many kids have committed to Michigan from the West Coast also which would also seem to imply they decided to not stay in California for the UC schools or didn’t get in. So take that in hand with the ones not getting into the Ivies on the East Coast and the rest and there isn’t much room for many to get in off the waitlist. I was starting to suspect this was going to happen when my son saw that Purdue announced they had over enrollment already of Computer Science students that committed and were most likely not going to take any transfers for next years class. Then when Michigan has their big acceptance date at the end of March, my son was the only one in our school that was accepted. He was initially postponed. They also outright rejected kids then and waitlisted a lot. This was also for Engineering. The fact that he was the only one to get in at that time after 20 something kids got in the first round made me suspect that their yield was pretty high. Two years ago it was the opposite. My daughters got in during EA and were some of the only few that got in but the bulk got in during the April cycle.

Maybe there is still hope for some but no one should sit around and wait for any waitlist. You should move ahead and plan and pick a school and plan to attend there. If you get off a wl then you can make a decision. But you need to learn to love where your choices are.

There are schools that have some (not much) waitlist movement - UNC, GaT, ND, Cornell, Wake, VA Tech, CMU, Vandy, UChicago (and more)are all schools that have taken at least one person off their waitlists so anything can happen.

I feel like they would notify us of this… when did you receive this email?

With respect to comparing Cal and Michigan, as it relates only to their WL numbers, Cal has traditionally churned thru their WL’s at much higher rate than Michigan.

To me, it’s still too early to say there will be no one drawn from the WL. It’s now 5/1 on the East Coast, but there’s a lot of applicants a) still deciding on colleges and b) waitlisted elsewhere. It’s a game of musical chairs. Spots will open. Be patient.

6 Likes

uiuc 2025 yayay :(((

3 Likes

UIUC is a great school! I committed to UCSD. If eventually rejected by UM then more tennis than skiing for me

Congrats to everyone committing today to Michigan. Go Blue.

it is a good school! i finally decided to attend there despite a hard choice. someone earlier said umich wont dig hard on waitlist this year, either way we should be proud of us, uiuc and ucsd are both VERY GOOD!!! All of them are among top tier public institutions.

Still, umich, if you are seeing this message please consider to get me off from waitlist, my name is BestOfLuckYall and umich is still my top choice. Haha. Even that I can see rejection coming but thanks, see u in two years.