University of Michigan Waitlist Class of 2025

it is very unlikely to be April again, I’d say about mid-May… dont hold my words on anything, I am just guessing tbh

This wait game is tiring. Been waiting since EA

I think the best advice is to consider yourself going to another school that you were accepted at. Someone told me early on, “like a lot, don’t fall in love with any”. Imagine yourself completely going to another school and start to live it and make it a realization. It may work out for the best. If any other news comes your way and you can reevaluate and make a choice, so be it. I just don’t think it is wise to count any waitlists as even possibilities-- until happens.

2 Likes

Yeah! The University of Toronto it is!

What are y’all planning to go?

Waitlist in umich cs or continue with gtech cs (already paid deposit)

Congrats! Gtech is great!!

Funny, my son has opposite scenario, but he isn’t going to accept a spot at GT if it opens. Not to mention they have 4900 on their waitlist anyway.

GT is a few slots better than UM for CS so you obviously can’t go wrong there.

UM seems like it has a really high yield from what I’m seeing in the facebook groups. I’ve only seen 2 parents say their kids have decided to commit elsewhere and each day more and more are saying they’ve committed. There are also some worrying things to me about CS I keep hearing about. Tough to get classes so have to just go on waitlists and then it all pans out when they open up new sections. That’s lovely, but not a position that any freshman should be in. The plus however is mandatory covid vaccine for freshmen living on campus. Maybe that’s why yield is turning out to be high.

Someone said they won’t go to their waitlist for awhile yet. No clue if that’s true, but registration/orientation signup stuff is going to start next week I believe as they’ve been sending emails to be ready for it. Housing app closes next week, after that it is first come first serve, etc. I wouldn’t want to be in the position of having to deal with that if my kid comes off a waitlist. Also, people are already complaining about hotels being full for parent weekend.

I would plan for GT and if your kid gets in then reassess then.

Did UMich release waitlist numbers for 2021? Does anyone have an estimate?

wait, just for the major, isn’t Gtech way better for CS? Why do you want to go to UMich?

Heard from an AO at Michigan that it won’t be until June 1st.

Really? I reached out to the admissions office a week ago and was told that it may be after May 1 and during May or June when they will be able to look at waitlist decisions.

It must be close to 10,000 again this year.
Last year it was over 10K and they admitted roughy 1289 students- 13%.
I am sure the waitlist is super high again this year, but would expect they will admit less.
Their waitlist acceptance rate is always super low 2-7% in past years prior.

Doesn’t look like it. Here’s the only waitlist info on their website, all from prior years.

Applicants who accepted our waitlist offer:
Fall 2017: 37%, or 4,124 applicants
Fall 2018: 41%, or 6,183 applicants
Fall 2019: 39%, or 5,085 applicants
Fall 2020: 48%, or 10,080 applicants

Applicants who were admitted from the waitlist:
Fall 2017: 11%, or 470 applicants
Fall 2018: 7%, or 434 applicants
Fall 2019: 2%, or 106 applicants
Fall 2020: 13%, or 1,289 applicants

This is my 1st kid going to college so I’m learning as I go along. IF Umich decided to release kids off the waitlist in June - what benefit would that be to wait that long? If commitment is due May 3rd - won’t they know then how many spots if any they would need to fill? Wouldn’t it be in their best interest (& the kids) to offer spots right away? Or do they need time to re-review all the waitlisted applications?

They’ll release seats on an as needed basis, because kids who already committed will come off the WL at an Ivy, Chicago, Duke, or NU, as examples, and then let Michigan know they’ll not be attending. That’s when they’ll hit their WL.

Ohhh that makes sense! Thanks for the explanation!

1 Like

My son finally decided to go to Syracuse and will release his spot at Michigan (he got into Stamps and Ross). Hopefully this will help one of you guys who is anxiously waiting.

5 Likes

Or Syracuse. :rofl:

Not sure what you mean by that…