University of Nebraska Lincoln Full Scholarship

My son applied Monday at 8pm and was accepted by 1:30pm the next day!!
We are from Michigan so he was already awarded the GEORGE BEADLE INTERNATIONAL BACCALAUREATE SCHOLARSHIP for $14,500 per year.

He will be applying to the UNL Honors College and entering with 34 credits (estimated) from his IB courses.

What are his chances at a full tuition plus room and board scholarship at UNL?

Stats:
Caucasian
Male
Middle Class (lower end)
3.89/4.0 GPA Unweighted
1420 SAT
International Baccalaureate Diploma with 4 HL courses
International Baccalaureate MYP Certificate
Varsity Swimming 4 years
Varsity Rowing 2 years
KLAA Scholar Athlete
Varsity Scholar Award
National Honor Society
French National Honor Society
Eagle Scout

Congrats on his award.

<<1420 SAT>>

That is equivalent to an ACT 31. I don’t think that is a high enough score since they probably about 15-20%+ of their freshman have that score or higher.

Often public schools look mostly at test scores for their big awards because they want to “buy” a top score. ECs really mean little to them because they don’t help the school’s reporting profile.

If they have a “leadership” scholarship or similar, likely it’s for a smallish amount.

Does UNL have a full-ride (tuition, room, board, etc) scholarship for OOS students? If so, that’s kind of rare for a flagship school.

If UNL does have a full ride for OOS, then likely an ACT of 34+ would be needed (or SAT 1550+) to be considered for that award . Schools are buying high stats students that they wouldn’t normally get to enroll.

According to the College Board Conversion Chart a 1420 SAT converts to a 32 ACT.
I am sure hoping they offer a Full Scholarship for OOS with IB…
I guess I am going to need to make a phone call;)

A quick look at their website shows that the award your son received is the highest merit award that is offered to out of state students. I didn’t see any full ride scholarships for non-Nebraska residents. National Merit award is full tuition plus 2K annual stipend.

https://financialaid.unl.edu/Freshman_Scholarship.shtml

<<<according to="" the="" college="" board="" conversion="" chart="" a="" 1420="" sat="" converts="" 32="" act.="">>

Can you provide the link? I’m only seeing the old chart on collegeboard and that conversion chart doesn’t work with the new SAT.

Other conversion charts show an ACT 32 now needs a 1450. I dont see any that has the new SAT 1420 equivalent to a 32

The old SAT is different, and now higher scores are needed to be equivalent.

<<<<I am sure hoping they offer a Full Scholarship for OOS with IB…<<<

Rarely have I ever seen any merit that relates to IB.

It looks like most of their better coverage awards are for instate only, which is what many schools do.

If you’re needing a full tuition scholarship, then I would suggest that he retest soon, and apply to schools where he’d get that much money.

Is he a NMSF?

What do you need net costs to be?

What is his major and career goal?

Here is the OOS awards for U Toledo which might work out. What is your son’s major and career goal?

http://www.utoledo.edu/admission/freshman/scholarships/2018/out-of-state.html

Looks like he’d get $15k per year…OOS tuition is only $17k at UTol, so a much better deal than UNL whose OOS tuition is $23k.

They don’t give as many credits for the IB Diploma. We are only looking for schools that take the HL & SL classes or give sophomore standing.

What is his career goal and major?

Will he have any AP credits. If you answer all the questions we’re asking, then we can better help you. Things are dribbling out.

IB at UT https://www.utoledo.edu/uc/pdfs/Standardized%20Testing%20Catalog%20070716.pdf

<<<International Baccalaureate Diploma with 4 HL courses
He will be applying to the UNL Honors College and entering with 34 credits (estimated) from his IB courses

[QUOTE=""]

[/QUOTE]

I don’t know much about IB credits… is 4 HL courses similar to 4 AP courses? Or more than that?

Which 4 HL courses has he taken and what were his scores?

When you go to page 4 of the link what does that tell you about credits he’d get.

It sounds like you’re trying to eliminate a year of college, is that true? If so, what will his major and career goal be?

And what do you want the net cost of each school year to be?

If the 4 HL courses are
English, chem, bio, and math, it looks like UNL gives 33 credits.
For the same mix, it looks like UToledo gives 31…which is sophomore standing, right?

Has he looked at athletic scholarships? If he can combine one with the merit scholarship he already has, he might be in pretty good shape.

<<< If he can combine one with the merit scholarship he already has,>>

The one he has is from Nebraska, a Div I, Big 10 school. Likely, any swimmer who’d be offered a scholarship would have long been identified.

I hope the OP comes back to clarify and answer some questions.

It appears that she wants a school that :

Provides a LOT of merit, at least free tuition including OOS portion.

Will give at least one year’s credit from the IB courses.

Will allow her child to graduate in 3 years.

If the IB courses provide the right mix of credits, then they might be able to eliminate a year. However, if the intended major doesn’t need all of those particular credits, then some/all will just be add’l credits sitting on the transcript. Both of my kids came in with 45 credits, which meant “second semester sophomore standing,” but some of those credits weren’t needed or were redundant (extra AP history credits for example). So entering with sophomore standing doesn’t always mean that a year of school has been eliminated.

If the student will be an eng’g major or premed, then very likely all 4 years will be needed regardless of coming in with sophomore standing simply because of the courses that must be taken at the college.

Typically, if the student is applying to Engineering, way fewer credits actually count - the student may get all his gen eds taken care of, which is not all that good since those help in keeping the GPA afloat, and engineers are on sequential learning so they cannot graduate in less than 4 years (and that’s without co op).

UNL Does not have Men’s Swimming as a Varsity Sport

Received a scholarship letter two days ago stacking two awards so that he is receiving full tuition. We will have to sort out the IB Credits in person once scores are reviewed. So still somewhat of a gamble but he likes the idea of a Big 10 School.
Thanks for the input everyone!

D applied Monday night and her application status said accepted by yesterday afternoon. We are OOS. She received an emailed admissions letter today, followed up by a phone call from the admissions office. They said they will be mailing a financial aid package in the next 2 to 4 weeks. Excited!

Look into the Raikes program, that can bring it up to a full ride.