University of New Hampshire Early Action for Fall 2023

University of New Hampshire offers Early Action for freshman admissions.

The Early Action (EA) deadline for Fall 2023 admission at UNH is November 15.

All early action applicants should receive an admissions decision by the end of January.

See updates and discuss results with other UNH applicants.

Are you planning to apply early to University of New Hampshire? Why UNH? What questions do you have about applying early? Comment in the thread below.

To discuss other UNH topics visit the university-of-new-hampshire tag on CC Forums .

Have more information about UNH Early Action?

This post is a wiki and allows CC members to edit and update relevant information - just click the Edit button in the lower right corner. (You must be a registered user with at least Member level privileges to edit wikis).

2 Likes

Feel free to reach out with questions about UNH. D21 had a great first year at UNH. Applying Early Action at UNH is non-binding and opens up scholarship opportunities from specific departments.

2 Likes

Good luck to everyone applying! I am a student there (although currently on a medical leave.) I am happy to try to answer questions as well.

2 Likes

My daughter submitted her app yesterday (Sept 18). I have heard that admissions are rolling. How long does it usually take to hear back? She is hoping to major in Education so I’m not sure if that’s an impacted major or if that might affect timing at all.

1 Like

Good luck to her and so excited to hear about an education major! We need great educators.

My son submitted his application 8/29 and didn’t receive his portal link until 9/30. He also submitted ACT scores and letters of rec in August and his portal is showing them as “awaiting”. We are going to give them a few more days and then check on the status. I’m guessing that they are overwhelmed with applications as other schools are??

1 Like

Yes, colleges usually batch those in and process them in large chunks.

But if they do not show soon, definitely reach out to admissions and check on things.

1 Like

My son submitted his on 9/8 and was also sent his portal link on 9/30. Same issue with SAT scores as well, which were sent 9/15. Still waiting for them to move from “awaiting” to the green check mark.

1 Like

My son reached out to the admission’s office a few days ago and they are still uploading all of the information. We have been at “awaiting” for a week.

Do they generally notify everyone at once or on a rolling basis as they evaluate your app?

It appears they notify on a rolling basis starting late November. We are still waiting for my son’s ACT scores to be verified - he sent them in Aug. ughh. They didn’t acknowledge his letters of rec until a week or so ago. Seems like they are very behind. Are you having similar issues?

How do they acknowledge them? I think my daughter said everything showed up in the portal but I’ll check with her again

You don’t have to do anything. All of the materials should show as “received” with a green check mark.

1 Like

DD submitted in September , portal showing some aspects missing. Called admissions office said that they were transitioning to new software and so there is a backlog of data. Asked to che k portal again in two weeks to see if updated. Will do tomorrow . Just curious is UNH rolling admissions and also do they provide good merit scholarships to out of state ?

Hi @neonblizzard

It is great that they are finally transitioning to the new software (they needed to do this), but sorry that is impacting the EA process.

Admissions is not on a rolling basis the way some other colleges are, but once they start making the EA admissions offers they seem to come over a few weeks starting in late December.

Merit also comes in waves and can be much more generous than initially anticipated. There is also need based aid offered, even to OOS sometimes.

There are additional scholarships accepted students may be invited to apply for (make sure they are reading their email and USPS mail and watching deadlines - some can Cover full tuition, etc… ) on top of these general levels of merit:

Scholarship Weighted GPA Range NH Resident Non-NH Resident
Trustee’s Scholarship 4.01 and above $9,000 $12,000
Chancellor’s Scholarship 3.90 - 4.00 $7,000 $10,000
Presidential Scholarship 3.70 - 3.89 $5,000 $8,000
Dean’s Scholarship 3.50 - 3.69 $3,000 $6,000
Director’s Scholarship 3.10 - 3.49 $1,000 $4,000

*UNH recalculates each applicant’s GPA using a weighted 4.0 scale using core academic courses in English, math, science, social science and foreign language. Electives that fall within one of the five core academic courses will be included in the UNH recalculated GPA.

Good luck!

1 Like

My daughter had a “criminal history disclosure” form she just saw and replied to on her portal. Glad she checked as this was not here last week! Is this a new thing for UNH - never saw that for my other children. She was a NO! Also it would be great if UNH acceptance rate would highlight it by major especially for Nursing - it is so much more difficult to get in for Nursing that most other majors and the 87% acceptance rate is waaayyy too high for Nursing majors to get a realistic view for acceptance.

3 Likes

I know that form or questions come up with all colleges at some point between applications and enrollment. Maybe it popped up with the roll over to the new system.

And yes, a breakdown by major would be helpful. The only thing posted is GPAs by college and I know nursing majors are at the top send of their college. It is an amazing program. The simulation center is very cool.

Page down to the bottom of the linked page for the GPAs by college. It will not copy and paste correctly.

2 Likes

My son’s Act scores were just marked with a green check and they were sent in August! Glad he was checking as the “criminal history” question popped up recently too.

1 Like

So there is something new that needs to be responded to for the application to be complete? Criminal history question ?

2 Likes

That’s correct! Last year my daughter was not admitted to Nursing, and she questioned it because her scores and GPA exceeded what UNH puts out there for stats. She was directly told that, without a 4.0 GPA, there’s no chance of admission to Nursing. This was even with her application submitted by September 5, demonstrated interest, great all-around application, etc…

2 Likes