University of Oregon vs Cal Poly Pomona

Which school has a better architecture program? Oregon would be our of state for my kid but has a decent scholarship but would still be more to attend.

I would advise my child to attend the school that burdens him or her with the least debt. The current economy is too unstable to count on getting a job that services a lot of debt. Later, they could go to grad school and/or learn on the job–with architecture my understanding is a lot of learning happens this way.

My daughter is from Oregon and applied to U of O and won the presidential and summit scholarship along with two more which would have made it free for her to attend if she chose to attend her state school. I know that U of O has an excellent architecture program but the bigger question I would ask myself is it worth it to pay OOS with so much financial uncertainty during this time. If finances are not a concern, I would say go where it is the best fit.

I appreciate dustyfeathers, trippfolsom replies. We have been saving so we could afford out of state. We feel Cal State is a better fit, but do we tell our child that? Do parents normally involved in helping making that decision if tuition cost is not an issue? We worry about getting blamed if things don’t work out. My child is not so mature for and is an introvert, yet enjoys going/watching big sporting events, which Cal Poly does not offer.

We know enough about the Cal Poly Pomona program and it is a very hands on, which is great. Is Oregon the same or more research?

Is Oregon program more or the same in challenging academically ? How much academic competition from other students? What kind of social life or activities to outside of school in Oregon?

Home sick is a major concerned for us, but at the same time, I wonder if being far away will push my child to become more social and open up to meeting people or is it going to make my child more depressed?

What about class size in the program? We have not heard much about Oregon besides from the Design Intelligence rating, which is basically the same for the these 2 schools.

Both have NAAB-accredited (5 year) BArch programs. Is there is a significant cost difference?

You may want to try their on-line class schedules to see if class sizes are listed.

Oregon is a more residential college, with 93% of frosh living in the dorms. CPP has 44% of frosh living in the dorms and 56% elsewhere (probably mainly commuting from where they lived before college). These percentages are from their common data sets, section F1. A residential student at CPP or a commuter student at Oregon may feel somewhat out-of-place socially.

OP, do some reading on Niche about the schools. It gives you lots of info from students’ perspectives.

Oh! I just realized something. My niece went from SoCal to University of Oregon right out of high school. She was home by Thanksgiving (or Christmas, I forget). She is super outgoing, but for some reason was overwhelmed and terribly homesick. AND she, despite being an average college partier, was super turned off by the degree of partying - primarily binge drinking - she witnessed. We think, though, that might just be one of the things she said because it was hard to admit that is was all about just never adjusting homesick-wise.

For what it’s worth.

I am new to this. How do I find information on student’s perspective on Niche? I just signed up for an account on Niche but can’t seem to navigate to that area of the site.

@graduatingclass University of Oregon admission staff can connect you with current students in the degree they are considering to major in. I have had friends with kids at both schools and the big difference is the one that @ucbalumnus mentioned which is the percentage of first years who live on campus. As a person who works with this population in my actual day job that part matters for some young people. Does your young person want a more traditional freshman year experience where the majority of their class is on campus or is that something that doesn’t matter. The drinking or partying is what follows the reputation of a lot of state schools with amazing football programs and U of O is no different. If your young person is in the Clark Honors Program they will be in a dorm with the honors folks and will get more of that specialization.

NVM, my old eyes didn’t noticed the reviews. Just saw it now! :slight_smile: