University of Pennsylvania Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

So, it’s been a week since the application deadline and this thread is pretty quiet. How is everyone feeling? Please share stats. I’ll start:

• Applied to SEAS
  • GPA 4.0uw/4.8w
  • 1510 SAT
  • Lots of leadership, community service, and research
  • Strong LORs and ECs that demonstrate fit
  • Interview scheduled
  • Sibling legacy (this mattered under Furda who was very much about the Penn Family, but may be de-emphasized under new dean of admissions)

It will be a long wait until mid-December!

3 Likes

good luck!! sending good vibes!

Does anyone know from prior experience when financial aid documents changed from “submitted” to “reviewed”? Just curious when the financial aid office begins their review of submitted early decision financial materials…

Thanks and good luck to you as well!

1 Like

Sure!
Applied CAS Environmental Studies + Cog Sci Minor (in supps)
GPA: 3.91 UW/4.2 W (recalculated 4.4)
SAT: 1550 (750 R, 800 M)
Research on urban and natural environments on brain health under HYP professor; published in top journal as sole author
Strong community project (environment)
Patent
Good alum interview
Great recs (one from research mentor, “future prolific scientist”, “nobel prize winner” and “most promising student all the way from postdocs”)
Mid-essays → message comes across but… ehhhhhh not the best → weakest part of app

3 Likes

Does UPenn require 1st Q grades? If no, would it be frowned upon for my guidance counselor to send them?

No, they don’t require 1Q grades. If they need them, they’ll ask.

As far as sending unsolicited materials, I wouldn’t. Confer with your GC though and see what they think.

1 Like

thank you!

3 Likes

Anyone else apply ED who hasn’t yet heard from an alumni interviewer? Our ED app was in well before the deadline.

Does penn usually ask for quarter grades for prospective admits?

Additionally, does quarter grades mean the grades by the quarter year or the grades I have currently. My quarter grades this year are not the best since one teacher put a zero in for a test before the 12 week grading period (which was fixed later).

2 Likes

It would be the grades you have at the end of the quarter. They don’t usually ask for grades except in certain circumstances.

From the Penn website:

Mid-Year Report

Early Decision: Required February 15, 2023 if student is deferred

Regular Decision: Must be submitted directly by the school as soon as mid-year grades are available

S23 is ED applicant and has not heard from an interviewer yet.

Thanks! We finally heard from our interviewer just yesterday.

1 Like

Will it be held against us if our scores are lower than the 25th percentile?

Penn holistically reviews applications so every part of your application will be considered. Per the CDS, standardized test scores are considered very important in their review.

While Penn does accept students with scores below the 25th percentile, CC wisdom is to submit standardized test scores that are within the middle 50% of admitted students or, optimally, above the 75th percentile.

So, your lower score won’t be held against you, but it does weaken your application. My advice would have been to apply test-optional but, if you’re posting in this thread, then I assume you’ve applied ED. At this point, all you can do is wait.

I don’t think so…

Anyone get an email reminder today from Penn Financial Aid to submit docs? I had thought we submitted everything (all documents have a green check and say “submitted” but now Im worried we missed something…

Don’t worry, we got it too and we’ve already submitted everything. It says in the first paragraph that no action is needed if the rest doesn’t apply to you. I think we’re good!

1 Like

What are the chances that UPenn asks my counselor for quarter grades if I had a slight downward trend (2 B’s junior year)? And will they ask for “snapshot” grades instead of marking period grades? My marking period grades are not that good

Got a B (88) in AP Calc AB Junior year…do you think this will hurt my chances at Wharton (Huntsman)?

1 Like