University of Pennsylvania Early Decision for Fall 2024 Admission

This is the official thread for those applying ED to University of Pennsylvania.

List your unweighted GPA, any SAT /ACT scores, and ECs. What majors are you going into?
Ask your questions, the CC community is here to help!

Thoughts on applying ED to Penn Engineering.

SAT 1520 (790 math, 730 verbal)
lots of rigor and APs in stem and other areas with mostly 5s
many awards and strong ECs
GPA 99.4 weighted
private school

If you love it and can afford it , go for it! Engineering is a very difficult admit (it was under 3.5% last year, RD and ED combined, apparently the lowest yet). They look for kids who have challenged themselves in all areas especially STEM and excelled. Hopefully your Stem APs are the 5s. The vast majority of accepted kids are in the top ranked segment of their HS: since you are at a private school hopefully your counselor can give precise “chances” for you. 99.4 weighted might be top 10%, might not be. Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks
Yes-
5s
AP comp science A
AP comp science principles
AP BC calculus
also AP US history

taking AP Physics now

they don’t rank at his school but probably top 5 kids.

1 Like

Popping by to say there is a lot of good information/tips shared on the Penn Admissions Instagram channel, Previewing Penn. The admissions team also does presentations on admissions related topics. It’s a great resource.

Remember, ED apps are due November 1. Good luck, everybody!

3 Likes

I think they’re due Nov 1st

You’re right! I’ve edited my post. Nov 6 is the deadline for financial aid forms for ED applicants.

1 Like

I was considering sharing my child’s stats, but really, none of us know, right? I could share stats and people could say “that sounds good” or “that’s a long shot” but I’m not sure if that’s useful to folks. Do people find it useful? Thanks!

3 Likes

Does anyone know when the numbers for ED will be made public (how many applied for ED)?

ED statistics are usually disclosed after decisions are released. Last year, the announcement was published on December 15.

1 Like

My son applied ED. I think he has a decent shot but we’ll see. Something like 7 kids in his high school applied to Penn ED and he goes to a small private school with only 80 seniors. My guess is that 1 or 2 may get in so hopefully he’ll be one of them.

2 Likes

Good luck to your son! my twin sons applied ED too. Their big brother is a Penn student so they have been wanting to go to Penn since 2 years ago. They have a very good shot too, #1 public high school in the state, top 1% or 2% of their class, tons of APs all w/ 5s, perfect SAT/ACTs, nationally ranked awards… but you never know considering how crazy college admission has become these days.

1 Like

My kid had the alumni interview. It didn’t seem very intense. Just in case your kids are nervous about it. All on-line.

1 Like

it’s very popular at my kid’s school, too

Does anyone know when they’ll announce what actual decision day will be? I saw it was December 15th last year

They typically announce the date and time five to seven days in advance. Check email and follow Previewing Penn on Instagram.

1 Like

Absolutely Dec 15. You can take my words.

1 Like

Well, they haven’t posted on a Friday in the last 5+ years so not so sure. My guess is 13th or 14th.

1 Like

where did you even get this statistic? are you trying to psych the poor kid out? LMAO that is not accurate.