University of Pittsburgh Class of 2026 Official Discussion Thread

Hi All, I have similar question…

My son has been accepted at Swanson for the BioEngineering program. WE just received the acceptance on the portal, but we don’t see any financial package. Do they send it later?

Do they also decide on merit based aid at the same time or do we need to apply separately?.. We will not qualify for any financial aid.

Would like to hear from fellow students/parents…Thx!

Has anything come through in your D22’s email about housing yet? My D22 hasn’t seen anything.

Congratulations!

According to Pitt, the last day for merit awards was March 1. You could call and check with admissions/financial aid, though.

1 Like

No! Nor through postal mail! Waiting!

1 Like

If you get into Honors LLC , you will be in Sutherland dorm .
Last year the application for honors LLC was out on May 1st . If I remember correctly , student needs to answer 3 short questions .
If you pick a roommate before submitting an application , you have higher chances of getting in is what we heard . If you have any other questions about sutherland dorm - let me know

2 Likes

Great info. Thanks! I’ll share this with my daughter and maybe it will move her to look on the Patio app for a roommate!

Will do, Thanks!

we liked Sutherland in all aspects except that it is on upper campus and you need to go up and down for the classes.
Perch in sutherland is clean compared to the eatery in lower campus . walking up and down is an issue when it snows

2 Likes

My daughter was accepted into School of Computing & Information. We are OOS. Tuition & Fees and Housing & Meals for 2022-23 is $53,878.

S22 and Hubby are in Pitt now. Bought tix for March madness (my other son is a UD student and they competed today in Pittsburgh). Fun boys night out followed by Pitt Business tour for accepted students tomorrow. I visited Pitt w/S22 after acceptance in December. Pittsburgh is unique, can’t believe how much I love the school and city. This coming from a girl born and bred in Boston.

4 Likes

Is anyone here waitlisted at Pitt and heard back? I got waitlisted more than 2 months ago and have heard nothing. It says I will hear by June but I’m still curious to know if they started re-looking our application .

1 Like

btw im an international student majoring in math, just some bg information

There is a waitlisted thread I think.

Hey y’all - congrats to all who got good news over the last month; I have been away but was happy to read up on everything just now.

With all the merit doled out, my little spreadsheet project is complete. I make no claims; it’s totally unscientific. But my personal conclusion: Despite the school being test-optional – test-blind, supposedly – nobody who posted here got Big Merit without submitting test scores. They can keep on insisting all they want, I’m not buying it.

On the sheet, there are a bunch of names that came out of nowhere at the end with the posts on honors acceptances, and I’ve added them but have absolutely zero other info on those folks. (I also gave up adding all the honors names after a while, because it seemed pointless; there were so many without any other info.)

I don’t want to post a link on the site; just DM me for access if you want it!

3 Likes

Son got in a few weeks ago OOS. Got accepted test optional. Took many APs, student gov, sports, lots of extraCs, but no merit. I thought most kids would get some offer and since he has gotten scholarships everywhere else, I assumed at Pitt. None received and so Pitt is likely off the table as there are too many in state schools (Miami, Ohio State) at half the cost. Too bad as Pitt would have topped his list. I think all aid has been distributed at this point as letters went out over three weeks ago. We aren’t expecting anything at this point.

2 Likes

Oh, I’m brain-dead - forgot to mention - if you want access to the spreadsheet, it’s a Google Sheets, so I need an email to share it with you.
It’s manipulable; you can sort by whatever - but not editable.

1 Like

Thanks so much for putting this spreadsheet together! Hopefully, it helps the class of '23. It would be great if people who are listed but who have missing info could help complete the remainder of the doc.

Note: the average OOS “big-merit” winner had a 4.0 UW AND a 1500 SAT score. It looks as if the applicants who received $20k had amazing profiles with or without standardized tests. Is there a valedictorian-type applicant in the thread who went test-optional but didn’t receive merit? If so, I’d love to hear that story.

Also, it’s a small sample but based on the sheet it certainly looks as if Pitt has shifted more of its merit focus to OOS. Some similarly ranked in-state students in my daughter’s school 2-3 years ago received $10k, and one $15k.

For the spreadsheet:

In-state, D22, applied Dietrich 11/26 for neuroscience, accepted 2/1, $5k merit awarded ~2/22, also selected for honors college.

3.9 UW, ranked 4/500, 1500 SAT, 13 APs (all 5s so far), pretty vanilla ECs but senior leadership on all of them. I assume decent essays and recs.

She will probably pick Sutherland and pursue the BPhil if she selects Pitt. Unlike many who major in neuroscience and plan on attending medical school, she aims to earn a Ph.D. down the road. Pitt is currently her #1 choice based on cost-for-value. Loves the city and the research opportunities. That could change April 1 depending on admission & merit awards elsewhere but we’ll be visiting Pitt again in April, either way.

2 Likes

Thanks @colonelmike64 - added your info. And I agree with the OOS focus (that is, of course, where the money is, for Pitt).

A reminder that Pitt is not a true state public. It, PSU, Temple and Lincoln are “state-related” and charge way more than the true public PASSHE directional institutions (while still getting lots of state aid - don’t get me started…)

1 Like

Agree that this could be helpful for the next class! I don’t think I ever formally submitted any data. My son has w/d from Pitt but he was accepted into SCS and Honors Program.
Zero merit.
4.0/4.9, 36 ACT (one time), 9 APs thus far (all 5), taking 5 APs now but exams not until May.
ETA: We are OOS and he applied in September

2 Likes

My S22 was accepted to Swanson and honors. 3.78uw, 1520 SAT, 7 APs (4’s and 5’s so far). Applied in October, accepted in February. No merit.

1 Like