University of Pittsburgh Class of 2026 Official Discussion Thread

If OOS child was accepted in September but has not received any notification of merit, does that mean they won’t be getting any?

Merit scholarships are given over several months. A kid I know got merit only in March or so, and it was almost full OOS tuition

1 Like

This was last year.

Any of you applied for Honors seperately ? We are considering submitting the regular application now and honors application (with honors essay) later . Pros and Cons ?

Nothing that Pitt says, but I think in general if you have a very good student in contention for honors /possible merit money it would be good to show the ambitions from the get go. I may be overthinking this but if I was an admissions officer to me a great applicant not trying for honors or one of the GAP would smell of a safety applicant and I may be less inclined to entice them with merit dollars…Would love to hear what others think about this.

Absolutely on later merit money. A lot of the top students will have other options and as people hear back from all their options around March, merit money previously awarded will start freeing up as people indicate they will not be attending.

Does a sophomore sibling count as alumni ? They have a question on Pitt Application.

Take a look at last year’s thread. I believe that it was noted that when they ask for mid semester grades it means that the application has been put “on hold” until those grades are submitted. It seems to basically mean that they are deferring making a decision on the application until that time.

Does this generally mean it is better to wait before committing? For example, if you were admitted in October and haven’t heard about merit aid yet, should you continue to wait before committing, possibly until March? Once one commits, do they then not award merit aid to that person?

I have no experience with Pitt, but I would wait. Once you have committed, there is little incentive to try to reel you in with more money. It’s like applying ED – I think, in general, they get less merit money because they’ve already said yes.

1 Like

After thinking about it, I realized that “on hold” is Temple’s terminology. It’s still pretty much the same thing, though. Pitt is indicating that they will wait until receiving mid semester grades before they make a decision on the application.

Yes, it would be better to wait it out. As applicants start to commit to colleges, some of the scholarship money that Pitt awarded would free up, which they will use to give/increase scholarships, so it’s better to wait.

It appears that we reset our application process with Pitt by submitting an SRAR. Some of the other schools my S applied to needed it, and so when he finished it for those schools, he also tagged Pitt and some other schools that did not require it, figuring “why not?”. It appears that doing so reset all the application dates.

We still made all the EA deadlines we wanted to make, but this was unexpected.

My son applied to Pitt on 10/9 and we “found” his acceptance letter in the Pitt Document Center on 11/5, then he got an email saying to check the document center two days later. No word on honors or merit yet. He was accepted as a Data Science major in the School of Computing & Information. We submitted his ACT test scores (official and also sent screenshot to Pitt admissions email).

Also, someone sent me this link below - it is an update from Pitt admissions regarding increased applicant volume this year and to expect longer turnaround on decisions. Fall 2023 Resources - Admissions | University of Pittsburgh

4 Likes

Accept/ Decline option appeared today in my daughter psmobile. No letter in the doc or no email yet. Do we need to press the accept button now or should we wait till we receive further info from the university?

1 Like

that would be when you are ready to commit to Pitt.

Congratulations to all…Same thing happened to my son he found his acceptance letter to Swanson Engineering in the document center. Still waiting for the mail.

4 Likes

My son’s buttons changed today! So exciting!! Accepted to Dietrich School Arts and Sciences. Applied on October 13th!

8 Likes

Thank you!

this happened to me also. I was trying to fix a minor course change on SRAR and it reset for all schools attached to it. i eventually met the early deadline but so scary tho lol

1 Like