University of Pittsburgh Class of 2026 Official Discussion Thread

My D22 just committed and paid the enrollment fee! When should she expect to hear about the housing application? Or, does she need to go online and find it now?

5 Likes

They send them out every Friday to those that commit in the previous week. Congrats!

3 Likes

Congratulations!!! Did the swag come in time to give her?

1 Like

It sure did! I was very pleased with my purchase from https://shopsteelcity.com/ & happy to support a small business! I purchased the Pitt sweatshirt and Steel City sweatshirt. So soft!

3 Likes

I will check them out!

1 Like

Well, I had just been hanging on for the waitlist letter because that is all I have seen the last few weeks. But the status never changes from pending. Today we checked and it finally said application complete. Selected Accept/decline tab to see if that changed and there are now instructions, it says Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences, Term 2022-2023 with her major and there are accept and decline buttons. Still no letter in the document center yet, but it looks like she got it. :grin: Unfortunately, 9 days after the money is all given out, but still happy.

16 Likes

Yes, the buttons mean she’s in – congrats. That was quite a wait for such a high stat kid. Does she think Pitt will be in the mix for her? Or is it just a relief to know she has it as an option?

Definitely in the mix. Of course, with no merit it may lose ground - only one other school so far has given no money. Still waiting to hear decisions from some schools over the next few weeks too.

1 Like

Best of luck as it all comes together

1 Like

Congratulations to everybody who is committing to Pitt! My son committed to UMD on Monday, so it’s a wrap for us! His heart has always been at UMD, and as our in-state flagship, we can’t beat the price. He was accepted to the business school and honors college at each, so there just wasn’t anything to justify the higher price tag for him. @AnonDad2026, if we could transfer the merit he isn’t using to your daughter, we most certainly would :slight_smile:

Best of luck to all of these fantastic kiddos and their parents! They will all do great things wherever they happen to land.

14 Likes

Congratulations! UMD is a great school. All the best

Great choice @spidermom03! Awesome school! I worked in DC for 6 years and had many UMD co-workers who are still close friends.

We are PA in-state and agree with you, S19 couldn’t pass up his own in-state offer.

1 Like

Thank you! All the best to your daughter, as well. She seems like a super star :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, we also think that UMD is pretty awesome! We’ve paid tuition there for 8 straight years now, so why not keep paying for another 4, right?! My two older children both attended UMD (one graduated in 2018 and the other graduates in May). We’ve been nothing but happy so far, but wanted to make sure that our youngest wanted to go to UMD (as opposed to feeling like it was expected). He’s excited and so are we!

5 Likes

Is it common practice to explicitly go in & decline all schools after you accept your dream school? Just wondering if we should do that as that may free up merit $ for others. We have a few that we have ruled out already. We like UMD as well since Pitt is twice as expensive.

2 Likes

Once you have ruled out a school (especially one that has people on weight list to get in or one who re-assigns merit $ that you have been awarded) I would encourage you to go in and decline :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We haven’t done so yet, but after paying the deposit, we typically go back and decline all of the other acceptances. Sadly, I don’t think that it frees up merit money at most schools. If it does, then that’s great! Most, however, do want to know if the student won’t be attending. Most also want to know which school the student decided to attend. Interestingly, Temple does not give you the opportunity to decline. Over the course of 8 years, it’s the only school we’ve come across that doesn’t give you the option to decline admission. I guess they figure that if they don’t get your deposit by May 1st, that you won’t be attending.

My older two have loved UMD, and even though we’re in-state, we’re far enough away that they still felt like they “went away” to college. It’s a great school with lots to offer. Academically, I think that UMD and Pitt are in a similar category, which is one of the main reasons that paying at extra $20k/year for Pitt didn’t make a whole lot of sense for us.

5 Likes

I love that! My neighbor’s 4 kids all went to Miami of Ohio and that is really special, to have a “family” school to bond over.

3 Likes

For those with kids accepted and committed, where are your kids in terms of finding a roommate? My daughter is REALLY stressed about it, mostly because making friends with strangers on the internet is really uncomfortable for her.

I have an older daughter at another college, so I know that this is early and that more kids will likely crop up in the next couple of weeks as other colleges notify students and students start making decisions. But I needed a little reassurance to assuage my anxiety so that I can assuage hers!

Not to worry! Lots of time. D22 is not concerned right now and has not started searching for a roommate. If a good friend of hers is accepted to Pitt, she has talked of living with her. But, her friend applied in early Jan., and has not heard back yet.

1 Like