University of Pittsburgh Class of 2027 Official Discussion Thread

Yes my dd was just notified today of a Cathedral of Learning Achievement Scholarship.

7 Likes

Were you notified through the portal, email or USPS? Thanks

FXdad20232025, my son was also accepted in CS but no merit. Yesterday he received a letter in the mail from PHEAA congratulating him on scoring in the top 5,000 students in PA who took the SAT and /or ACT this year. We looked up the numbers and found that 202,000+ took the SAT in PA (couldnā€™t find a number for the ACT). Scoring in the top 5,000 is pretty decent. His stats overall are great. Disappointing to see so many others receiving merit money. I wish we knew what criteria they use to decide who gets merit. (His high stats twin admitted to the business school has not received merit either). They would both love to commit to Pitt but waiting to see if they get any money (although I am fully aware that Pitt gives little merit, it would be nice to get something). Good luck to your son!

4 Likes

Thats a shame. Weā€™re OOS. ā€œJustā€ $10k from Pitt would match our most expensive in-state option. Son really likes the school and city. NOT looking for a full ride! :blush: Thanks for the note. Best of luck! It will work out Iā€™m sure.

1 Like

Same. My OOS Student was accepted 9/2, 32 ACT Which we know is not mind blowing but we were hoping it was at least enough for a little bit of merit. Itā€™s her top choice but pretty much every other school has offered merit or comes in quite a bit lower so itā€™s definitely frustrating

2 Likes

My son received this as well and did not apply. Still hoping for some merit aid though. My daughter received $5k/yr three years ago, and they pretty much have the same stats. Sadly, things have changed though.

2 Likes

My kid got that letter yesterday too. We were wondering how many people had taken it. Thanks!

Congrats on the PHEAA distinction! Does it actually provide any money? And did you fill out the PHEAA grant application?

I ask b/c I filled that dang thing out for four years with my D19 and Iā€™m tired of it so I didnā€™t bother this year for S23. Itā€™s income-based, and it was just frustrating to go through it and get ā€œyou donā€™t qualifyā€ ā€¦ well then stop asking me every year!

2 Likes

Were the merit awards uploaded to the document center?

3 Likes

Gatormama, it doesnā€™t provide any money. It directs you to complete the FAFSA if you wish to be considered for a PA State Grant but they are need dependent. He wonā€™t qualify. Still proud of his effort though. :smiley:

2 Likes

interesting. i did get some merit aid offered in my original acceptance letter but about a month or so later i got another letter saying they reviewed my file again and updated the amount I received, so itā€™s definitely possible that they may in the future give aid to your son? im not quite sure what the final review is period really is but if your son only recently got in, its not over yet ya know

2 Likes

Help please, DS applied 10/14, application said ā€œcompleteā€ this afternoon but the accept/decline buttons say unavailable. No letter in the document portal. What does this mean? This is his 1st choice and we knew it would be a stretch.
Where would they ask for mid-year grades? In the document center or via email?
He applied OOS and Dietrich. Thank you!

We visited UPitt in summer and in their orientation they mentioned that they Guaranteed admission program for graduate school for students who maintain the grades.

This was interesting for us , as we heard this for the first time where you can reserve a seat for graduate program.

During application my son picked that option just in case if he ends up going to that school.

If your kid has good stats then that might have caused him/her as a qualifying candidate for that program.

What do you think when it says ā€œcompleteā€ but the accept/decline buttons say nothing. Iā€™m thinking a denial. :pensive:

msk7777, there seems to be a delay with each step of the process in terms of receiving emails and having information show up in the portal. Give it a few days to see if something shows up under accept/decline or if a letter drops into the Document Center. Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you.

My mind just immediately jumped to denial. Iā€™ll hold out hope for a little longer.

1 Like

For anyone who this applies to, if your child applied test optional going into undergrad at Pitt the guaranteed grad programs will still require the MCAT, etc. for those students. This changed in 2021. So itā€™s not really ā€œguaranteedā€ for those students, I suppose.

2 Likes

New to the Pitt thread. It was a last minute add. What are some of the less popular programs that may yield an easier admit? DS is pretty open to ideas for majors and it seems some of the other schools he applied, mostly Big 10, are impossible to get into biz school so he is open to other routes. Any thoughts?

1 Like

Mine also got the letter. And a letter from ACT stating that over 1.29 million took the test but only 4,055 got the same score as her. We are also waiting to hear about merit.

I looked up the income requirement to decide if I would fill it out. Looks like it maxes out at $125k

2 Likes