University of Pittsburgh Class of 2028 Official Discussion Thread

Hi,

The letter came in today along with guaranteed MS. He applied to Swanson for Bioengineering
Applied common App - Oct 3rd
Moved to review - Oct 10th
Accept /Decline Buttons - Oct 17th
Admit letter - Oct 18th.

Now waiting on scholarship. We are OOS.

3 Likes

My son was just asked for his mid year grades. I assume if his grades are good, then most likely he will be accepted?

I just found this forum and this is my first post. Apologies if this is the wrong space, just wanted to offer details for anyone who might need them.

DS was accepted on 10/9, applied via common app on 9/24. Dietrich with guaranteed admission to Law.

Stats:
3.9 uw / 4.3 w
35 ACT
NMSF
Many ECs

6 Likes

Son accepted yesterday. Application was complete 9/28. Applied to Dietrich.

OOS
1540 SAT/NMSF
97/100 unweighted GPA
7 APs (can’t take until Junior year at his HS)
Good activities and leadership (but not extraordinary)
Science research in his chosen area of study with some local level awards

No merit - hoping that changes! He’s really interested in being part of an honors program, so also really hoping for that. The waiting is the hardest part …

3 Likes

It’s hard to say. Did he submit test scores? To which program did he apply?

A lot could depend on what Pitt’s application volume and yield projections are between now and mid-year. While he has control over his grades, there are parts of this equation he won’t be able to control.

He could be accepted, accepted to a branch, waitlisted, or even rejected. I don’t mean to be negative — he may well be accepted — but he should make sure he has other options, too.

1 Like

I agree. The issue with being asked for mid term grades is that other students will continue to be accepted until the mid term grades happen and arrive at Pitt admissions.

I know of 2 boys who were asked for mid term grades last year. They were TO, 1 was WL, then accepted in May or June after committing to Ohio State (did not go to Pitt). The other student was offered a branch campus at Pitt. It becomes harder with the numbers because Pitt will have already accepted lots and given merit to lots, before they can circle back. However, IT CAN work out. It really can. But you need another plan if asked for mid term grades, imo.

3 Likes

He didn’t submit test scores because they wouldn’t have helped his chances, but that makes sense why they would be requesting midterm grades. He has a 3.75 weighted GPA and OOS. He’s applying undecided as well. I was curious about whether he gets placed into a different “pile” or ultimately he’s going to be in a very different comparative situation in 3 months. This is a bit of a stretch school for him so we have other options. All eggs aren’t in this basket.

2 Likes

Sounds like you have put nice thought into your plans. Good luck!! I think TO invites more scrutiny because that’s what it is – they look harder at other aspects of a student’s application and scrutinize it.

2 Likes

I just called the admisions office and she said that official acceptance letters are uploaded after 7pm every day. Also, she said that merit scholarships are awarded through February so just have to play a waiting game now!

3 Likes

I was also asked for my mid-year grades a couple weeks ago. I applied September 8th and I am still pending. Should I be worrying? I have a 3.76 GPA and I did not submit my test scores. I applied to the business school. I am afraid that by the time mid-year grades come out, I will not be considered anymore.

They will revisit your application when they receive your grades. You may want to let them know that they can evaluate you for yhe Dietrich School as well as Business if you are willing to do that. I believe the stats for the Business School are a smidge higher than Dietrich.

1 Like

So will it say pending until they review my mid-year grades?

I cant say definitively.

I really appreciated seeing everyone’s timeline, so wanted to add to the help for those who are waiting.

Son from southern NJ with a high school in DE.
4.19 GPA
Great extra-curriculars
Applied Test Optional

Applied 9/23
Transcripts uploaded, application complete 9/26
Accepted 10/19 with Communication Science Guarantee (guaranteed admission to either the Audiology or Speech-Language Pathology graduate program after completion of Communication Science undergrad).

1 Like

I constantly feel the same way! By the way, D23 is so happy at Pitt!

2 Likes

My daughter had a 4.0 (9 APs) and a 1420 SAT and got $5,000 (OOS) in 2021.

Do you get an email notification when merit scholarship offer is posted on document center or do you just have to check periodically?

@1610satscorer , please check your document center every Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning. BTW, congrats on your 1610 SAT :slight_smile:

1 Like

My daughter has an accept decline button but we can’t find the document center to see her acceptance letter. Where is the document center located? She is logging in on a computer and not an app. Thanks!

Search Google “upitt document center” go to the program age and click “Launch/Start” . It will have you sign in with your Pitt student center credentials