University of Pittsburgh vs. Villanova

<p>aglages and ShanghaiMom,
Penn Nursing does sound fantastic. What other schools did your daughters seriously consider?</p>

<p>My daughters has four that she is seriously considering:
Penn (waiting for acceptance decision on Feb 19th)
Case Western Reserve University (accepted) 1600 clinical hours begging in the 3rd week of the first freshman semester
University of Pittsburgh (accepted) (my wife is a Pitt Nursing Alum)
University of Virginia (waiting for acceptance decision on April 1st)</p>

<p>If she was willing to go farther from home she would have applied to the University of Michigan, Georgetown & Johns Hopkins.</p>

<p>Looks like she was only interested in direct admits. Did she ever consider UNC or Vanderbilt? They sure look like a great programs but the risk of having to apply soph year is a negative. Does your wife feel like the ideal program is one where you start right away? It almost appears that the 2-2 programs cram the nursing program into 2 years. Perhaps, assuming many will go on to get further degrees? Actually Vanderbilt only has a BSN-MSN program now-they dropped the traditional 4 year BSN. From my D’s Penn interview with Marianne Smith it sounded like Penn’s top competition is (no order) G’town,UVA,Michigan,Emory,Case…and perhaps, Hopkins and UNC? Your thoughts? Not that it really matters at this point! Every program has different things to offer.</p>

<p>The very first program my daughter (and us) considered was Vanderbilt’s Nursing Program. Loved the school, loved the idea of BSN-MSN program, hated the idea of spending the money and time at Vandy just to have someone with a better GPA and easier classes (transfer from a different college) get in ahead of my daughter. Just our opinion…and money. </p>

<p>My wife’s opinion is that different programs offer different benefits. Hard to beat 1600 clinical hours (CWRU) for preparing a nurse to hit the floor running when she graduates (and passes the NCLEX). How do you compete with an Ivy League diploma and sub-matriculation into Wharton and / or NP programs even though Penn “only” provides 950 hours of clinical?</p>

<p>You are correct…each program has different things to offer…and at this point it is too late to matter for our daughters. Good luck to both of you!</p>

<p>BTW - which schools is your daughter seriously considering?</p>