University of Portland 2023 Fall Admission (EA and Regular)

My D is applying EA. Anyone else applying? We enjoyed our visit during Oregon private college week.

My son just got his acceptance today! We toured during his winter break last year (along with several other Oregon schools). He really liked it.

That is great! When did he apply?

October 23… I think. He did his EA application in groups over the last week of Oct. UP was in group 1

Nice job by your Son!

My son heard back today, got into the direct admit nursing program with the Presidential merit award. We visited U of O and Oregon state last year but didn’t visit UP. Anyone have first hand knowledge of the campus vibe? How religious is it? Is it a fun school as well as academic?

I would say yes to all your questions. Really cool bar/coffee bar on campus. There is a requirement to take a few courses in religion but not “Catholic” courses per se. Campus had a nice vibe. My older D says that people who go there are “religious nuts” but she is extraordinarily left leaning. It is a Jesuit school, nice church on campus and that is a part of the school which they do not shy away from. Some friends kids who attend speak of the school positively.
They don’t say much about their basketball team, unlike Gonzaga!

We visited last year. It was my son’s favorite school during our OR tour. We asked about religion. One of our tour guides grew up Catholic, but was not going to church while at UP. The other was not Catholic/religious. We got the impression religion is there if its something you want.
My son really liked the campus….nice size, well-maintained, walkable. He particularly liked the library and the athletics facility. Students seemed happy.
What stood out to him was the size. He toured the U of O and Willamette the day before. U of O felt big and Willamette was too small. UP felt just right.
My son got great merit aid as well. We appreciated that it came with the acceptance. (He’s in at U of O but no $$)

Interesting and good points. I think I liked Willamette a lot for my Daughter but she wasn’t as big on it perhaps.
She is a city kid and perhaps you have a city kid as well? The admissions officer also offered some good practical advice and had a lot of energy.

Willamette didn’t get a fair shake. We toured U of O in the morning and Willamette in the afternoon. Willamette was on break, so the campus was dead. Also our tour guide was not a good fit. The contrasts between the schools was stark. It made me realize how tour guides, weather, and fatigue play into perceptions.

Portland is a great city and a definite plus for UP.

Yea, all those things make a difference. Also anything positive or negative external to the school like just breaking up with gf/bf, doing well in a sports competition etc could influence.

We visited Willamette too. My son didn’t feel like it was big enough, but students were there and it was bustling. The downtown was cute. But Portland is a much bigger city if your child would like that.

UP is actually not Jesuit - its Holy Cross, same as Notre Dame, St Edwards, and a few others.

Ok, my mistake. Thanks for the correction.

My son is a junior at UP and very, very happy. It has been a supportive, fun environment with just the right amount of academic rigor to be hard without being oppressive. We are not Catholic, and he has not felt the school was too religious. All in all, this has been a great fit for our son!

2 Likes

Yes, we know a few kids who attend and they all have positive feedback. Still a possibility for my D.

1 Like

Anyone going to the admitted student day. We cannot make it. My D has visited previously and we may schedule a separate visit to help her decide.

My son can’t make it either. He’s attending another admitted students day at school he hasn’t seen and thinks may be a top contender.

1 Like