University of Rochester Major

Hello! Today, I found out that I was accepted to University of Rochester! However, when I read my acceptance letter, I found that there was no major or school they put me in. I chose my preferred major as Biology (BA), but in the letter, it did not mention anything about that. I read somewhere that we get to choose our majors in our sophomore year, but does that mean we will not have a major in our freshman year? Or do we have to decide during a later date when we choose classes?

Thank you!

Rochester has a very flexible curriculum so you can start studying Biology freshman year. Unlike larger universities Rochester doesn’t admit by major. You may discover you’d like to double major or prefer an entirely different major once you have the chance to sample a few new subjects.

I see, thank you so much! If they don’t admit by major, do they admit by school or do they not do that as well?

As far as I know the undergrad schools are arts and science and engineering and they don’t admit to the individual schools. The exception is the Eastman school of music. If you want to study only there you have to apply directly to Eastman.

Pretty cool curriculum … you can easily double major, design your own major etc…

I understand, thank you for the help!

1 Like