University of Rochester

I am wondering if anyone has insight in to why University of Rochester has so many international students. We are just starting to explore colleges and my daughter wants to attend a school with lots of international students but U of R was never on my radar until i just read it is among the colleges with the most international students (~27%). Anyone know why this is? Clearly it is a great school but there must be some specific reason. Thank you!

A couple of major reasons why it could be a draw to international students: The proximity to four medical facilities for pre-meds and med school students, AND the Eastman School of Music at UR, which is highly regarded.

@Creekland might have ideas about this.

1 Like

I would expect like many other schools that Rochester values the diversity that internationals can bring to campus, and also expect the vast majority of internationals are full pay (Roch gives some need based aid to only those internationals from Canada or Mexico).

2 Likes

Note that Eastman itself reports international representation similar to that for undergraduates at the university in general:

https://www.esm.rochester.edu/facultystaff/handbook/facts/.

1 Like

I wonder what portion of ā€œinternationalā€ is Canadianā€¦ being under 100 miles from the border could encourage Canadian enrollment.

2 Likes

URoc loves geographical diversity of all sorts. In the US many keep the school off consideration due to its location/weather. Iā€™ve seen that happen with students oodles of times. They want warmer, sunnier, or places like NYC/DC, etc. My own graduate almost did that too making the decision last minute to apply, and now calling that his ā€œbest decision I almost never made.ā€

International students tend to look more at school offerings and less about specific location. They want content. Other things many US students consider arenā€™t even on their list to look at.

Couple the latter with the university loving diversity and you get a high percentage.

Many are full pay, but I know the university also gave good grants to some from underprivileged countries/kids. Iā€™m not positive that still happens, but I know it did when my son went there. He graduated in 2017 and from their med school afterward. He still loves the school.

3 Likes

A very quick look hasnā€™t given me the distribution numbers, but this page says they have over3600 international students from over 120 countries.

https://admissions.rochester.edu/applying/international-students/

This one says there are more than 1004 Alumni in their group. Considering there are many years of graduates, I wouldnā€™t say that leads to an oversized Canadian contingent.

https://www.rochester.edu/alumni/regional-network/international/canada/

1 Like
2 Likes

My son is a freshman at U of R and the large percentage of international students is a huge plus, in my opinion. Two of his three closest college friends are from outside of the US. It really opens up their world and I helps them to think globally rather than parochially. My son really likes U of R, just FYI. It is a challenging school for kids who are serious about academics, but he has had some great professors already, has made a lot of friends, and although it is not a big party/sports school, he is still having fun.

6 Likes

Thanks for your comment. My son was accepted to the class of 2027 and the international makeup of the study body was one aspect of the university that appealed to him! Glad to hear your son is liking it.

3 Likes

Congratulations to your son (and you)! My son is having a very good college experience so far, except for some academic stress, but I think that is to be expected most places. Honestly, Iā€™ve got an older child at an Ivy league school and I think my son is having a better academic experience than she is. We are super pleased he chose U of R (and that they chose him).

4 Likes

Thank you. Yes, I do worry about the academic stress and am hoping my son will be able to find the resources to help him (if he needs it) whether it be office hours, etc. Best of luck to your son and weā€™re so excited to join Yellowjacket family!

2 Likes

This is a fabulous opportunity for him! Iā€™m very happy for him. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

When is the RD release date? Does anybody know when they did the last cycle?

1 Like

Was just gonna ask

I looked on their Instagram and on 3/21/2022 they posted that their decisions had gone out the week prior. Thatā€™s all I can findā€¦

I think they came out on the 18th based on a reddit thread. It is possible that decisions may come out this Friday then!

1 Like

Yes - also look at the admissions thread from last year on this forum, and you will see that people posted their decisions on the 18th - so this would suggest that they release decisions this Friday (unless they donā€™t work that day to celebrate St Patrickā€™s Dayā€¦:shamrock:ā€¦:beers:)

1 Like

Does anyone see an ā€˜enroll nowā€™ button on their portal?

1 Like

Yes, there is one on my daughterā€™s portal.

1 Like