University of Scranton EA Class of 2023

@knholt Not on my son’s portal, didn’t arrive in today’s mail… waiting for tomorrow’s mail…

Also forgot to mention I received the Loyola scholarship! Good luck to everyone!

ok, DD satas as promissed

D17, Accepted :slight_smile:
State Residency: NJ
ACT: High 20s
SAT: n/a
GPA: Above 3.5 (UW)
Extras: many APs & HRs. Varsity Athletics. past 2 years volunteer work Hospital & EMS

Applied date: 10/02
Applied ED or EA?: EA
Decision date: 12/12 - by snail mail 12/12 - portal is not updated yet
Colleg/Major: School of Nursing, BSN + Loyola Scholarship

@jdcollegedad, yeah looks like our DDs have applied to many of the same Nursing programs. She also cast a wide net and has visited most of them( unlike yours). Still undecided on the big school vs smaller size, entrance into a direct4 or 5 year Nursing program with solid clinicals is a major factor, Distance from home and cost of attendance also weigh in. Wild card is her older sister’s school (junior SC Gamecock), the two of them are very close.
Scranton is a top 3 choice!

Received letter yesterday - Loyola scholarship, 5 Year MBA. The portal has not been updated and have not received an email yet (portal and letter say to look for email).

So we haven’t seen the mail yet, but my son got an email to check the portal. He is in with a Dean’s Scholarship. Chemistry.
Stats:
1560 SAT, 730 Math2, 720 Chem subject tests
About a 94.5 UW at very small and competitive STEM magnet HS, Nat Merit commended
Job 3 years x 15 hrs/week
Very involved in scouts, heavy leadership
Jazz band/pit band/10 years of drumming
Other ECs

Congratulations to everyone who was accepted! Time to schedule another visit!

Accepted 12/17/18
ACT: 25
GPA: 3.9 (UW)
Extra: men’s chorus, yearbook editor, student gov’t, JV and V sports, lifeguard,
High School: boys Catholic school in Baltimore
State Residency: MD
Ethnicity: Hispanic

Applied date: Early October
Applied Early Action?: Yes
Decision date:12/17/18
Major: Biophysics

Also applied to: Xavier (accepted), U Maine (accepted), Miami U (accepted), Towson (accepted), Penn State, St. Joe’s (Philadelphia), Rhode Island

$20,000 merit scholarship offered

DS was accepted into direct entry MAcc program along with SJLA honors invitation. He received a Dean’s Scholarship along with a FAL-CON (Future Accountants Leadership Conference) scholarship. Just waiting to hear back from two other schools. Also waiting to see what else Scranton has up their sleeve with financial aid. Would like him to join DD (currently a sophomore OT student at Scranton) but will have to see how it all plays out.

(off topic)
DD LOVES being a Royal…in addition to being a Presidential Scholarship recipient, she has also won the Frank O’Hara Sophomore award and has recently been accepted into Alpha Sigma Nu (The Jesuit Honor Society). She is also heavily involved on campus…Sophomore President of the Helping Professions RLC, Secretary of the Royal Signers, Orientation Assistant, teaches a weekly yoga class, and is actively involved in numerous clubs…she is thriving both academically and socially at this wonderful Jesuit institution!

Good luck to everyone in making their college decisions!!!

@njstudent2021 Feedback on your older child is appreciated. Scranton is one of my son’s top two. I too am waiting to see if he gets any aid because the scholarship was smaller than I had hoped for and much smaller than his very similar other private school scholarship. Cost of attendance is highest of all his schools (public & private) by a large spread. We will see where his head is at after his Royal Day visit vs other top choice visit.

@Sparcky No problem…I figured a little parental insight/experience could possibly be helpful…I also see that you are waiting to hear back from a certain “little ivy” public NJ college…lol…same here

@njstudent2021 lol, yes we are. And I’m guessing that, based on what you have shared here, your child is feeling very good about the odds, as mine is. Today’s mail has his SJLA invite.
He’s all zen and I’m dying to get out there and do the accepted student visits and see how it all turns out!

@njstudent2021 Thank you for sharing your daughter’s experience as a Royal! She sounds wonderfully accomplished!! University of Scranton is one of d19s top two (she won’t rank :slight_smile: ). DH and I really loved Scranton. Just had a great overall vibe. Signed up for Royals day on 2/18. Not sure how planned the day is, but if you or your daughter have any suggestions. It will be our second visit. Hoping to see Leahy Hall as that was closed on last visit (she is planning on BS/DPT). She received an SJLA invite via her portal, which really got her excited!

@EENYMum We got the exact same vibe the first time we stepped foot on campus! It’s hard to really explain, but as parents we feel extremely comfortable everytime we are on campus visiting our DD. In fact we go up once or twice a month just to take DD and her friends out to dinner at several of the fabulous restaurants in Scranton…feels like our second home!

Just wait to you step foot into Leahy…it’s amazing…as is Dean Pellegrino (Dean of PCPS)! OT and PT up at Scranton are terrific programs. We are going to the 2/18 Royal Day as well…it is a really nice day that will get your DD excited about the possibility of being a Royal!!!

@njstudent2021 so excited for the 18th!! Also my bday but at this juncture I don’t like to celebrate anymore…unless we are counting backwards ?.

DS is doing the royal day on Feb 11th - we haven’t visited there yet, so very excited. We know some alumni and current students and feel like we have a good sense of the school already and somehow we just never made the visit. Looking forward to seeing the school first hand!

Has anyone found any detailed info on dorms and campus life anywhere? I have spent a lot of time on school websites and Scranton has the least amount of information available - most other schools have videos, pics and detailed tours of dorms, etc and the info on scranton.edu contains little more than a brochure’s description…not sure if I am missing something…

how many applicants does scranton receive each year? in EA/ED and RD?

@unicorn0819 Search “University of Scranton common data set” (or any school) for detailed app data

@2023collbound The campus tours normally show a freshman dorm room and an upper class dorm room. Sometimes the open houses and/or accepted student days also show Condron Hall (Sophomore housing), which is where my DD currently lives. Condron Hall is sometimes referred to as Hotel Condron and is absolutely beautiful! I wish there was a way to post pics on CC…I have great pics of both her freshman and current dorm rooms.