University of St. Andrews in Scotland -- Class of 2024

So those are interesting stats, @VickiSoCal. The 24% for Medicine caught my eye, b/c there are strict quotas on international places for medicine- I think it’s about 10% of places. Also, I know from last year’s intake that StAs had a (government set) target enrollment of 163 places (total) for medicine, and the table shows 250 places, so I’m guessing foundation year students are included in those numbers.

1 Like

Maybe it seems high as few bother to apply knowing the quota? Plus it will include their special medicine course for Canadians: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/medicine/medicine-bsc-a990/

Good point, @Conformist1688 - I forgot about the Canadian element.

I would like to hear something. I don’t know if test scores count much with St. Andrews since they don’t have to compare ACT/SAT scores to other schools in the UK, but My test scores are my strength.

If you mean AP test scores, those are a vitally imprtant part of your application.

1 Like

UK universities use SAT / ACT scores as more of a threshold to clear, rather than as a selection tool. Having a super high SAT or ACT doesn’t help much more than meeting the requirement.

On the other hand APs (and, for the unis that accept them, Subject Tests) matter much much more, because they show that you have some mastery of material that is comparable to the level that domestic students have to show.

Remember that the vast majority of students are domestic, and from a teaching point of view if (as an example) an A in A-level Math is required for admission to the course, the teaching faculty know exactly what material, and what level of mastery of that material, students will arrive with. That means that on Day 1 of the term, they can start from that level and go forward. This especially matters in first year, as in most courses you have few (if any) optional courses, so you have to be ready for the required classes.

1 Like

These stats are interesting. Art History, Sustainable Development & History are the only three majors with an acceptance rate of over 80%. So, wouldn’t those three be the least competitive for US applicants?

Is it better to apply as an American using the Common Application or UCAS? I would think the Common Application would highlight my extra curricular activities and awards when comparing to other US applicants.

Except for StAs the other UK unis won’t care about your ECs & awards except as they relate to your subject, which you can put in your Personal Statement.

IMO, UCAS > Common App

1 Like

I applied around a week and a half ago. Anybody else? Really nervous to hear back :confused:
Good luck everyone :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Almost right at 2 months. I ain’t heard nothin’.

Has anyone who has applied for fall of 2020 heard anything so far?

From what I’ve read they typically don’t start making offers until January.

Looking at last year’s thread, the earliest responses were on November 19th, and they said typically it was 6-8 weeks from the date they received the last required documentation.

I sent in my ACT (superscore 35) and my SAT (1460) a while back, but I didn’t send any SAT Subject Tests until this week, when I sent in two of them. Do you think that would delay their decision or might they already have made up their minds? I got my app in Sept 1, and they downloaded Sept 10th.

@SlimJim001 in another thread you said all your APs are 3s and 4s. What program did you apply for at St. Andrews? Did you have relevant test scores or were the SAT subject tests you sent this week the relevant ones? If so I would say this week is when the clock starts, not when you submitted your app.

@VickiSoCal I sent my APs to a couple of state schools but not St. Andrews b/c i didn’t want them to see the 3’s. I sent Subject Tests in for Math 2 b/c I’m looking at Management + a language, but I didn’t send the Langage in, as I’m try8ng to get it higher. I sent in a History Subject Test b/c the score was good. The Math 2 is relevant.

If you’ve listed an AP course as taken but not sent them the exam results, then they are going to be suspicious. And if you applied through UCAS you are required to submit all exam results (https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/filling-your-ucas-undergraduate-application). That includes any retakes (including for SAT/ACT).

It’s better not to be dishonest. And mostly 3s and 4s in APs is not a great basis for success in a UK course anyway when APs are vastly easier than A levels.

@twoi 18. There’s no dishonesty. I applied through the Common App. I’ve also called the AO. They didn’t tell me to do more than I’ve done.

@SlimJim001 the reference to dishonesty is more a challenge to your playing the game of semantics. Just because I wasn’t told I couldn’t do it, does not mean that it is ok…All colleges are going to appreciate that you apply, that you have done your best and that your grades reflect this. 3s on the AP may not reach the threshold and you need to have an honest assessment of what you plan on doing.

UK schools do not remind you that work is due; there are generally not quizzes that are given throughout the term; and, expectations are that you will be able to perform the tasks - if your language is French, there are prerequisites in AP/SAT2…

College is your transition to adulthood. Be responsible for all your actions and accept the consequences. If you are granted an offer, it will be because you earned it and not because the system was successfully gamed.

All that being said, good luck as you are competing against very capable students and I hope you take this constructive comment in the tone that it is intended.

1 Like