University of St. Andrews in Scotland -- Class of 2024

Officially offices reopen the 2nd / expect nothing before the 6th

I thought you were allowed to add a language after admission

@soontobeprepmom First years generally take 3 subjects, if on a single degree, any 2 additional can be added that fit the schedule. If on a joint degree, you take those 2 plus one more.

Has anybody heard back for Sustainable Development? I applied in October and I’m still waiting.

i applied as classics back in mid-october, still haven’t heard anything back… has anyone in classics heard anything? or have a thought on when i’ll hear back?

This week was when marks were due for fall, so I expect the staff in those departments are busy. Next week is first week of spring term and things should pick up.

Hi! I’m an American student applying to St. Andrews for international relations and Spanish (second choice international relations and medieval history.) I know I’m applying late to St. Andrews and that international relations is competitive enough as is. I was wondering if this will significantly lower my chances of getting into the school compared to if I had applied in October?

My stats are:

• 34 ACT
  • 3 on AP European History and APUSH, 4 on AP Environmental Science and AP Calculus, and 5 on AP English Language
  • Currently taking AP Statistics, AP U.S. Government, AP Literature, and a college non-AP Spanish course.
  • Extracurriculars include student council and selective volunteer clubs
  • National Honor Society and Spanish National Honors Society

Are these stats competitive for the school?

If so, when would I expect to hear back, give or take? Any input helps. Thanks!

The 3s in history APs would be a concern.

@Conformist1688 yeah, I thought so as well. I received a 750 on the U.S. History SAT Subject Test, would that make up for it? I was debating if I should do IR & medieval history as my first choice and IR & Spanish as my second, since I received a 650 on the Spanish SAT Subject Test. At the same time I got in the 99th percentile for the National Spanish Exam, so I am not too sure which I would have a better chance of getting into. Thanks again for your input!

I think your odds are low for either combination. Both departments need to accept you and the foreign languages really want to see an AP or IB score.

I’m applying from an american university with a 3.90 GPA, which would qualify me for summa cum laude/a first degree. If my offer is contingent on AP/Subject Tests I’ll probably enter UCAS Adjustment for UCL, since they have an entry pathway that matches my 31 ACT 11 Writing. Obviously I’m a bit of an unconventional student, but does anyone have thoughts on the likelihood of such a conditional? I’ll have 37 college credits by the end of the year.

Did anyone hear anything back yet?

I wonder how the UK lecturers’ strike action starting today through March 13 (and action short of strike through April 29) will affect admissions decisions and the admissions process generally this spring at St. Andrews. Any thoughts?

It’s impossible to say really. It depends if the staff involved in the admissions process are members of the relevant union. In any case, if you applied by 15th January, you must receive your decision by 6th May at the latest. Don’t stress about not having received the offer - it’s not a reflection on your application at all. I am afraid you really do just have to sit tight. Several other departments in many other universities have yet to make decisions too. Best of luck.

Thank you. Waiting patiently.

I was notified that I will receive an offer for the Joint BA with William and Mary, and my MA application decision will come out in the next few days.

Congratulations!!! That is super exciting!!!

congrats, @nibbe!

Our daughter received an unconditional acceptance to International Relations a few days ago.

Congrats to her @cattledog!!