University of Tennessee Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

did he choose to do the community college for a year with guaranteed admission Fall 2024?

Son was offered 3 options: Waitlist, VertoVols Abroad or Pellispi CC with guaranteed Spring 24 admission. Letter cited campus capacity but they still want him. With his sister already there, I can absolutely vouch for campus capacity issues. He is declining all 3 options

2 Likes

Always curious to understand why decline a waitlist? It keeps an option open, doesn’t cost anything and doesn’t commit anything? Unless the DS/DD has gotten in someplace that they had already ranked well above the waitlist school - in which case even the acceptance from UT would have been declined (?).

1 Like

Sending you best wishes

What specifically do you mean by transfer scholarship $$ offered? How is it a year of savings? We are OOS, so saving is a huge factor we would love to learn more on. LOL

Fair point. He would have evaluated going there if offered admission and factored in merit $$$. As of now, he has been accepted to several other schools that are ranked higher on his list and has earned significant merit money commitments from them. I do think UTK was a bit of a “throw in” since his sister is there. We have Vols season tickets so we have been on Rocky Top for some pretty amazing weekends and I think those fun times persuaded him to apply as well. He is also looking to wrap things up and make his decision. I told him the same thing you mentioned and he said he won’t go there and doesn’t want to keep a spot from someone that would.

Makes complete sense. DS was waitlisted at VT (along with a lot of others!). I would say it’s in son’s top 3 schools so makes sense to stay on WL. If the kiddo wouldn’t have accepted admission even if - makes sense to not accept the WL offer.

I’ll also say that UTK was a “throw in” for my son at the time of doing applications but has quickly gone up into that same top 3. You just never know.

2 Likes

Similar. My S accepted to VT engineering and WL here w vertvols option. We were thinking would’ve def been other way around.

2 Likes

Exact same here! He knew when he got the VT acceptance that he would not go to UT - probably even he had gotten merit there. We are OOS for both. Crazy that UT was his safety school and the lowest ranked of any school that he applied to.

3 Likes

OOS as well. However we haven’t visited UT so we don’t want to rule it out but it wouldn’t be too wise to take over VT engineering would it?

Just on the ranking of the program? No. But weigh out financials and visit the schools (different vibes at them). If the kid doesn’t vibe with the school it really doesn’t matter how good the overall program is, they’re not going to do well in it. Ideally the financials align with the best environment with the best program. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

VT engineering is ranked 16th and UT engineering is 68th (US News). The UT campus is great. Lots of recent improvements, on the river. Obviously more of a city school than VT. And let’s be honest
the success of their football team this year and beating Alabama and parading the goal post to the river created a lot of interest that might not have been there otherwise :wink:

2 Likes

And I’ll just throw in what I’ve tried to reinforce with my DS.
$55K - VT
$35K - UT (after merit)
$80K difference over 4 years.
In your chosen field what’s the need for a masters degree? Once you have a masters no-one cares where you got your UG and if the price difference of UG funds the masters - that’s the better path.

3 Likes

I get it. We are in-state NC. If he gets into NC State (was deferred), he is going there over VT. Program not ranked as highly ranked in engineering but it is still #33, tied with Vandy, Yale, Notre Dame, Brown and some others :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes we will factor in cost and we don’t even know if he will get in to UT. Def prefers a rural country campus like VT/Clemson, does UT have an urban feel?

And agree on the grad school cost factor

1 Like

I wouldn’t call it Urban - but it’s much more a “big school in a city” than "a big school that is the town (VT). Much less green space at UT - buildings much closer together. Great Smoky Mountains are only 30 minute drive from UT though hence why I’d shy away from calling it Urban.

UT - 910 acres, undergrad enrollment ~25K
VT - 2,600 acres, undergrad enrollment ~30K

2 Likes

Son also prefers rural. UT def not that kind of vibe. Lots of cars, busy streets around. One side of the campus borders the river which is nice. We liked it, but son prefers Clemson campus a lot more. But that’s just his vibe.

4 Likes

Oh yah he would def prefer VT then. Thanks this is good info. One of the deal breakers for FSU was its a beautiful campus then has a cut through main thoroughfare thru the heart of its campus. Tractor trailers, construction trucks, all sorts of insanely loud cars and pickups. Such a shame.
Thanks for the good info both of you

1 Like

US News/World Report 2023 Best Engineering Schools: VT-30; UTK-62. UTKs brand new Zeanah Engineering complex (opened last year) is state of the art with 26 different labs inside. Their Nuclear Engineering program is ranked #6 in the country. Plus the real reason we go to college: UTK female:male ratio - 55:45; VT female:male ratio - 43:57. Go Vols!!

Similar situation here. In state, 1550 SAT (one try); 4.5 weighted GPA; 11 AP classes; 2 dual enrollment classes; tons of EC and other good stuff; waitlisted at VT
go figure