University of Tennessee Early Action for Fall 2024 Admission

This is the official thread for those applying EA to University of Tennessee.

List your unweighted GPA, any SAT /ACT scores, and ECs. What majors are you going into?
Ask your questions, the CC community is here to help!

2 Likes

S24 applying for fall 2024. Wondering how the SRAR works- is it once he hits submit on the common app UTK send him a long to do the SRAR?

That is the way it worked for us last year (to my memory). You submit your application and within 24-48 (?) hours you’re sent a link to set up your SRAR account and input all the classes and grades.

UTK uses an algorithm that it only takes the grades of required classes. For example if they require 3 years of science and the student took 4, it scores in the grades from the highest scored 3 science classes. So you’re likely to end up with a SRAR score that doesn’t make a lot of sense against the students HS Transcript.

Thanks for the heads-up about the algorithm. His will be wonky too because he took Bio, chem, then engineering and computer science junior year and is taking physics this year so won’t even have grades for the third year of science yet…

1 Like

Do you know if they weigh anything like honors, AP, dual enrollment, etc? Thanks!

Yes, that is all part of the SRAR.

Thanks for this info! Where do you see the SRAR score? MY DD entered her grades yesterday, but I didn’t see a score. Appreciate your help!

It was last year that DS applied so working from memory - I seem to recall that once the SRAR was done and UTK downloaded it (it probably took at least 48 hours), somewhere once logged in (first page?) it said what the calculated GPA that was going to be used is.

so it sounds like you should not do your SRAR prior to submitting your application?

Again - it’s been a year so memory a little fuzzy on the progression of things -

I believe the 3rd party app that UTK uses is the same one that many other schools use (that require SRAR). Once you apply to UTK (or other school) within a day or two we got a “thank you for your application, next step is to complete SRAR”. So you get the link from their portal and go in and submit it.

Now if you had already completed it for another school and its the same 3rd party another school is using, you just link the account and it pulls in what you already submitted.

1 Like

When can applicants expect to hear back?

Website says mid-December and last year it was 12/19

5 Likes

If someone is invited to apply for honors college… is that an option presented to all or based on self reported grades?

2 Likes

We assume it’s based on the SRAR

2 Likes

Is there any indication for what the stats are going to look like this cycle? I know last year was a crazy jump in apps. Will it fall back or continue to get more difficult?

1 Like

Not even sure someone from UTK themselves could answer this for you. EA deadline is two weeks away and RD 2 months away. Given the 40% increase in apps they got last year it would be difficult to think it might go up much from that but that’s just the number of applications and doesn’t address the quality of those apps.

1 Like

I feel like I read something last year after the huge jump that while the number of applications drastically increased, the average GPA and test scores did not, so overall, the same types of students were applying, just many more of them. Will be interesting to see what happens. We definitely are not considering UTK a likely based on what happened too so many great applicants last year.

3 Likes

Some schools seem to use your weighted gpa and Tennessee seems to look at core gpa. Anyone know what the minimum CORE gpa was in the past for entry?

2 Likes

It’s actually different than both those numbers. They apply their own algorithm to things through the SRAR. For example if they have a requirement for 3 years of a science and you’ve taken 4 - they use the 3 with the best grades (uplifted by whatever Honors/AP points). The GPA they calculate and publish on the students portal won’t resemble anything you get from the high school.

According to the Common Data Set from last year, the average GPA was a 4.07 but no, they don’t say what the minimum threshold was.

2 Likes