University of Texas Acceptance Description

CC: Please expound on this or change. UT is not moderately difficult to get into. It is extremely difficult to get into if you are not top 6% at your Texas high school. True acceptance rate is more like 10%.

2022 Acceptance Rate for The University of Texas at Austin

It is moderately difficult to get into UT Austin. The university admitted 29% of all applicants in 2022. Last year, 66,043 students applied to UT Austin and 18,989 were admitted.

I think what you mean to say is that the acceptance rate for texas residents not in the top 6% is around 10%? I wouldnā€™t call that the ā€˜trueā€™ acceptance rate. Also the top 6% might be auto admit, but some not insignificant proportion of those are not accepted to their desired major.

Many schools have applicant groups with acceptance rates different than the overall rate (overall rate for UT Austin Class of 2026 being the 29%).

1 Like

Yes, true acceptance rate for Texas students who are not top 6% is around 10%. Out of state is even less. I didnā€™t want to get into the specifics of ā€œmajorā€ acceptance because that variable is more case dependent whether the student will accept. Iā€™m more focusing on what percentage will get that ā€œcongratulationsā€ e-mail. Itā€™s significantly lower than 29%, and knowing that may help some reconsider whether UT is a viable option.

Yep, again, many schools have lower acceptance rates for certain groups of students, including OOS and internationals. Many schools also have far lower acceptance rates for certain majors. The onus is on the students interested in UT Austin (or really any school), the non-top 6%ers and OOS/internationals to do their research.

Three generations of my family graduated from UT. There is nobody in the fourth generation that will (my son matriculated there, but had to drop out due to his illness). That seems shocking to me. My two nephews and niece went to a very competitive high school and they werenā€™t auto-admit.

I think that is what they are doing when they come to this website and students from other states who want to major in Engineering or CS see, " It is moderately difficult to get into UT Austin. The university admitted 29% of all applicants in 2022."

1 Like

Same. My son doesnt have any friends going this year and most of his friends didnā€™t even apply. Iā€™m curious the final percentage accepted number out of top 6% this year as I know more out of staters admitted than in state and we attend a top public school.

Agreed. Parsing out that description is of value to those who use this site as part of their research.

1 Like

@CC_Sorin

I hear you and thatā€™s a problem with many of the schoolsā€™ descriptions at CC.

Another example, if an OOS student wants to apply to U Washington CS and sees an overall acceptance rate of 46% they might think a reasonable admit chanceā€¦but the OOS CS acceptance rate is really 3%. There are 100s of examples like this!

1 Like

For the school profiles, we work with Petersonā€™s who provide the data. Our team takes it and uploads it into the system. If something is wrong it means that their data is inaccurate. I have flagged this and our team will report it back to Petersonā€™s to have it corrected.

2 Likes

That UT Austin overall acceptance rate of 29% is accurate!

OP was concerned it may mislead people as in-state students who arenā€™t in the top 6% of their graduating class only have a 10% chance of admission. But, this issue impacts any school that has different acceptance rates for OOS students, or the college of engineering, or CS major, etc. etc. etc.

2 Likes

I want to just clarify that the 10% acceptance rate for holistic review is across the board for most majors. For highly-impacted majors like CS and Business, it is even lower.

1 Like

Yes, I was pointing out that there is another, more important percentage for any applicant outside the top 6% in state and all out-of-state buried in that overall acceptance rate that is worth a serious ā€œNote:ā€

The general acceptance rate is around 30%. But if you want to major in something other than a useless liberal arts degree, you either need to be accepted in the top 6% or play an academic cutthroat version of the Hunger Games from the outside. Itā€™s gotten so horrific, that UTSA, 75 miles south, has nearly tripled in size in the last 15 years.

1 Like

The general acceptance rate for in-state top 6% is 100%. Whether they choose to go or whether they get into preferred major is something else and would be worth knowing.

The general acceptance rate for in-state not 6% is somewhere between 9% - 12%.

The general acceptance rate for out-of-state is even less.

So that 28% acceptance rate leaves a lot of room for explanation, is all Iā€™m saying. Someone out of state for instance, might not be aware of the amount of spots that must be held only for in-state students. Iā€™ve heard 90%, but I am not sure. I know itā€™s very near that though.

Iā€™ve heard great things about UTSA! And that a good percentage of CAP students opt to stay there.

I believe every degree is useful and worthy of study, if a student is interested.

1 Like