University of Washington Class of 2027 Official Thread

Anyone know, the yield for computer science/CE?

Are these CS number 27% and 3% (for in-state and OOS) - who actually enrolled out of total applications to CS? If yes, the acceptance rate might be little more than those numbers?

1 Like

Those are the admit rate numbers that UW posted on their web site here: Freshmen by the numbers | Office of Admissions

Note that these are Fall 2021 numbers.

For Fall 2022 the only information I have is from this article, which reports a slight increase in applications, and a decline in the overall admissions rate to 47.4% (54.8% for WA residents), but does not list an admit rate for CS: UW’s 2022 entering class is largest and most diverse | UW News

2 Likes

Yes I am not sure if in 2022 it was 27% for CS Direct admit in state, it might be lower.

1 Like

Not sure they report separate yield %'s by major, externally anyway. I believe “yield” is typically considered after the admit rate, so it shouldn’t impact those admit percentages. Yes, seems like overall admit rates will likely continue to trend down with the increased number of applications received (~45,000 in 2018-20, to now 62,000+).

Overall, in-state “yield” looks to run about 60%, so the majority of in-state applicants offered admission, also accept it. I wouldn’t be surprised if that yield is even higher for direct to major CS. Seems to have an excellent reputation and a pretty great value.

4 Likes

3% OOS? Wow. Lower than some of the Ivies I guess.

Single digit CS admission rates are typical at many other popular schools for this major. Look at the UCs for example: UC Computer Science admit rates

UW CS is an unlikely gamble for OOS students. But for in-state students, it’s an amazing bargain, both financially, and in terms of preferential admit rate. CA students certainly do not see anything like 27% admit rate for CS at their top schools in-state.

5 Likes

I agree its the same everywhere for OOS, but many schools have higher acceptances for in state le.g Georgia Tech and UT Austin

1 Like

With those grades, challenging classes, and that 1580
 you crushed it. UW would be fortunate to get you. Best of luck!

2 Likes

Thanks much :slight_smile:

1 Like

Generally admit rates already take into consideration the yield. If you had 100% yield three admit rates will be well below 3% and 27%.

Heard of one acceptance in UW Foster school of business. Person was awarded UW Presidential scholarship.

5 Likes

Are the decisions out?

Their email says March 9-15 decision dates, isn’t this early? Are you sure or could this be a rumour?

The Presidential Scholarships are typically given a bit earlier than most other notifications and are presented to the student in person.

1 Like

My D22 got her notice last year 1st week of March, so the time line makes sense for this year (actually a bit later than last)

Seems like we may be entering rumor week again, so I’ll repost info from earlier for anyone new to the thread. Prior year dates/times:

2020: Friday 3/6 after 8pm
2021: Friday 3/12 after 8pm
2022: Friday 3/4 after 8pm
2023: Friday 3/10 after 8pm (best guess)

We see a Friday trend. And since decisions weren’t released Fri 3/3, now Fri 3/10 is most likely based on the recent prior years. No guarantee of course, just most likely. Previous years were between 8-9pm Seattle time. Portals seemed to be updated by 8:30 pm and emails went out by 9 pm.

(and Presidential scholarships go out a few days early to just a handful of students and that’s a separate process from the ~62,000 notices that need to be sent out soon)

4 Likes

2021 was actually on Thursday, 3/11 after 8p. My son was that year and thought it odd to come out so late in the day and on a Thur. Can be confirmed in the timeline of the UW 2025 class forum when everybody started posting their decision results.

2 Likes

yes it is. So, decisions can come on March 9 Thursday also and not on a Friday alone

1 Like

Thurs 3/9 is in the running too then! Best of luck all!

3 Likes

Just now drove by a house with a NEW HUSKY yard sign! One of those professional signs they looks like a political sign -
Looked legit

In rural WA state

1 Like