University of Washington Class of 2027 Official Thread

Sounds like CS at UW gives a strong preference to in-state applicants. You should have a good shot - best of luck!

They do, but the chances are still hit and miss. They seem to value their “holistic approach” over actual academic competency these days. Regardless, I still have hope.

2 Likes

Psyc

3 Likes

What is your definition of “academic competence”? If it’s high stats alone, you may want to take a look at UW’s Common Data Set. IMHO UW’s holistic approach to admissions is yielding a diverse and highly “academic competent” student body.

2 Likes

any you EC is CS related?

Is there any particular reason men are accepted at a 41% rate while women are at a 52% rate? Sounds like they have a lot of work to do with diversity to me.

Some of them, but I don’t think UW admits people off that. The holistic approach is more important - socioeconomic status, community service, family obligations, etc.

It is indeed a lucky draw once a certain set of criteria are met.

This goes both ways. How many OOS kids are taking spots from instate kids at UMD for CS? They let in 30-40% OOS. I’m sure a lot of those kids are from CA.

True but the out of state kids are paying a premium to attend which in theory should keep costs lower for in state.
I actually have more of an issue of foreign born nationals being admitted to public colleges and being treated similarly to an out of state (but US citizen).

5 Likes

I don’t have an issue with it. The poster seemed to want it both ways
to be admitted to OOS schools but not let OOS kids into their state schools.

3 Likes

Well, yeah got your point on that as well. Kind of a cake and eating it too situation.

1 Like

I think having international students only adds to the experience of a diverse student community that broadens everyone’s horizons (one of the benefits of the college experience, IMO). International students have a lower acceptance rate than U.S. OOS and are not eligible for financial aid from the school, so I wouldn’t say they’re treated similarly.

7 Likes

Well, the COA is the same before considering financial aid which is of course far less prevalent at a public oos.
Public universities are partially subsidized by US tax dollars.

2 Likes

I can’t specifically speak to California, but that statement (public schools are funded primarily by state/tax/federal money) just isn’t true anymore in most states - at least not to the extent it used to be.

Working in higher education, I can tell you that my state’s flagship university receives about 25% of its yearly budget from the state . . . meaning, they have to come up with 75% of their budget. Of course, the universities have to make up that shortfall somewhere, which is why tuition has increased in the manner it has. Admitting OOS students – who obviously pay higher tuition – is one way to make up a budget shortfall. As such, unless you live in a state that values public education and funds it accordingly (maybe California, I don’t know), OOS students are going to be admitted.

5 Likes

I said partially.
And in California oos students pay a huge premium unless EFC is fairly low so may be a bad example.

Agreed. I work in higher ed as well and the amount we get from our state has been steadily decreasing and the state has also frozen tuition. As a parent, I see why keeping tuition low is critical. But without additional help from the state, one obvious solution to make up the budget shortfall is to admit more OOS and international students who will pay more.

5 Likes

I hadn’t seen acceptance rates by gender before. It’s likely similar to other comparable universities, but that is surprising.

1 Like

Nationally, more females are being accepted at colleges then males simply because more females are applying to colleges then males.

It has been a trend for the last several years.

6 Likes

I had heard that trend for years, but just didn’t know the acceptance rates were so different as well.