Accepted Civil Engineering!!! LETS GOO!
In State
26 ACT
3.94 UW GPA
4 AP’s (CHEM, CAlC, APUSH, AP MACRO)
Spanish through 6
ESSAYS ARE IMPORTANT!
Lots of Extracurriculars.

Accepted! International student! Pre-business at College of L&S! So happy!

Accepted and am over the moon!!!
31 Act
3.98 weighted
lots of ecs
strong essay
OOS
Wisconsin 23’

Accepted! College of letter and science. But the acceptance letter didn’t mention my intended major. Is that a problem?

does anyone know if a deferral increases your chances of getting accepted in RD?

@Lakshxja2991 - no, not for L&S. Check your portal for information - it should include your course of study.

Accepted!
College of Engineering, Undecided
International, Male, Asian
SAT: 1490, TOEFL: 110, Got 7 AP with score of 5
Great ECs and essays
One of my recommender (my biology teacher) was an alum of UWM

Accepted!!
College of Engineering, biomedical
Minnesota resident
ACT: 28
GPA UW: 3.81
Super involved in EC and community

Accepted to L&S (cs)
Illinois resident
35 act , uw 3.75
? ?

Accepted
OOS-NY
1300 SAT
College of letters & sciences -pre-business
Varsity captain, three sports, good volunteering
Good essays

From the admitted students page info that may be relevant to those changes some saw last night and yesterday on their portal. “My UW is a student portal that will present new options to admitted students, such as the ability to confirm your enrollment, review your financial aid package, and sign up for student orientation” The major changes and Financial aid ones may very well be relevant changes before decisions are released. We did not get the Finanacial Aid changes others did though, and we still don’t have them now. .

Deferred
OOS Illinois
33 ACT
3.95 UW
Two sport athlete (4 year varsity), varsity baseball captain, great extracurriculars (200+ hours of volunteer service)

Wisco was my top choice, and I’m deflated to have been deferred. Does anybody know the chances of getting in after a deferral?

@ drew2001, With your stats it should be high. Write a LOCI. Visit and go talk to the program you want to attend. Good luck!

Accepted

College of Engineering, Chemical
OOS-CA
32 ACT (33E, 33M, 36R, 27S)
GPA 3.78UW / 3.92W

Go Badgers

Accepted!!!
College of Engineering, Mechanical
OOS-CA
White female
31 ACT
GPA 4.2 W idk what it is UW :frowning:
ack I’m freaking out!!!

Son was accepted!!!
L&S - Physics
OOS
35 ACT
4.4 GPA
9 APs
4 Year Waterpolo

Accepted
White male OOS (MD)
Direct admission to School of Business
Major: Marketing
GPA unweighted/weighted: 3.78/4.52
I go to a very competitive school where 17% of students have a 4.51 weighted GPA or higher, so I am in the top 17%.
SAT: 1500 (700R&W, 800M)
SAT II: US History 700
Will have taken 8 APs and 2 IBs by graduation, but I did not send or self-report any AP scores
Strong Wisconsin-specific essay and Common App essay
Campus visit: yes

ECs:
Three-sport varsity athlete
Multiple service trips; lots of volunteer hours
Leadership position at summer camp

What do I do if my area of study for LS says “General Course” even though I selected the asked amount (wasn’t it 3?) of Major choices? None of my majors were harder ones the get into either, like CS and Business.

I was denied. It was my #1 and I’m incredibly bummed. My grades weren’t the best (93 weighted and 88.4 unweighted) but I have a 31 with an 11 on writing and really really good essays and EC’s. I’m shocked and upset but that’s the way life goes sometimes. Congrats to all those who were accepted.

Congrats to all accepted students. Deferred students- you are in the pool with all of those who will apply by the deadline. That’s the reason UW did not make a final decision for many- they need to have room for those who will still apply/applied after the first round and are more competitive. Remember- there will be students who wanted elite schools and will apply in January. It is not a first come/first served situation.

UW is not known for merit aid, especially for incoming freshmen, despite increases planned in recent years. No automatic aid for grades/test scores.

UW has an excellent L&S Honors Program- read about it on the UW website. Excellent sequences in math, chem, physics and others. Plus many other course options. No special housing et al (thank goodness- even those in the same major prefer different dorms from my personal experience). Any AP HS courses will help but not substitute for some of these sequences- UW versions of courses, even regular ones, will have more material et al than AP versions. Son got AP credits and also UW course credits for some of his freshman classes (no AP in my day).

You will be asked to decide if you want to live in Res Halls and have a time limit to decide, make a deposit. The contract signed will be binding unless you do not attend UW. No first come/first served for Res Halls, some exceptions but generally a housing lottery for ranked choices in May. So many different options-on/off (close by) campus. Plenty of time to decide/make your dorm choices and change them. IF you sign a contract for housing and later choose to not attend UW you need to inform Res Halls independently of informing UW to get your deposit back. Telling one or the other does not suffice. Pay attention to deadlines.

Your choice of major did not determine your acceptance to UW. All are admitted to the university as a whole. Then there are some with direct admits to engineering and business. You do need to keep your grades up to keep your direct admit (likely easy for those students). Anyone pre-something, such as education or nursing, or business, will need to go through the application process for their program once at UW with a UW record. See your chosen major for details. The default school/college (where most students are) is L&S. Everyone needs to meet grade and course requirements to be admitted to their major- based on your UW record. The stated minimum requirements may not be enough for competitive schools/colleges as there are too many students to be accommodated in some fields. UW wants to be sure those accepted into a major will get the courses they need- hence limits for some. Any college credits for AP/IB classes will be given after you complete your first semester. This means any advanced standing won’t take place until then.

You can change majors after being admitted and while at UW but you need to meet the major’s requirements to graduate- and need to declare it to graduate. So much of this will become clear as time goes by. Once you are on campus you will learn a lot more about how things work. Do not worry now if you don’t have a stated major or want to change it. Now majors are requested on applications- good for having a purpose in attending college. Your acceptance will not be rescinded if you change majors.

It is a good idea to list your new proposed major if you change it before going to SOAR (summer orientation and registration) in order to have the most relevant advising. Honors Program- advisors for that. As a parent and UW grad I still found the parents’ orientation (separate from students for most things) useful.

Remember there are still months before all decisions are made- there are still students who will apply by the end of January. You all also need to decide which school you will attend. Enjoy knowing your UW status, even if it is still undetermined and have a good winter break.