University of Wisconsin Madison EA Class of 2023

DDs acceptance letter on-line said she was accepted into Mechanical Engineering in the College of Engineering.

My son got in to L&S as well. His intended major is CS but in the letter he got, we didnā€™t see the major. Do you think it is not a direct admit for College L&S?

There is no such thing as a direct admit major for L&S. Most are admitted to the ā€œgeneral courseā€ (ie a BA or BS degree) and are free to pursue their intended major(s) pursuant to completing any pre-reqs. You donā€™t declare your major until your 2nd year.

Accepted L&S - Neurobiology
In-state
Female
3.69 UW/4.1 W
28 ACT

Accepted!
3.75 uw gpa 4.15 weighted gpa
Oos
1550 sat, 750 verbal, 800 math
College of L&S

@JBStillFlying does the same apply to College of Engineering as well? It does say Major as Computer engg

@ppxyz123 - The COE website specifically references direct admission to a major:

ā€œStudents applying to UW-Madison to be considered for direct admission to the College of Engineering need to indicate an engineering major as their first choice. Direct admission to a major means students will start in the program of their choice in the College of Engineering and will need to meet progression requirements at the end of the first year to guarantee advancement in that program.ā€

https://www.engr.wisc.edu/admissions/undergraduate-admissions/

Accepted: College of Letter & Sciences
Intended Major: Biology/Pre-med
Act: 32
wgpa: 4.568 uwgpa: 3.89
All honors/AP
OOS, Illinois

Accepted L&S.

GPA: 3.85 - 11 APā€™s
Test Scores: 35, 1520, 780 math 2, 760 bio

Awards: Intel ISEF 3rd Place, ISEF Special AWard, 2 more international awards, a couple 1st in state awards
ECā€™s: started 60k company, Microsoft research intern, research at 4 UW labs, duke research, more stuff that i dont care to list.

OOS

Accepted!!!
GPA: 3.65 UW 4.3 W
OOS California
Ton of ECā€™s, good essays
29 ACT (30 superscore even tho they donā€™t super-score)
Hard private school in LA with deflated grades

Accepted into College of Letters & Sciences!!

International Student from India
Intended major: Major: Computer Science
SAT: 1440
GPA:- 91/100
Class Rank: 1
A ton of ECā€™s and achievements

DD (OOS) accepted into L&S

ACT: 30 (31 super)
GPA: 3.93 unweighted / 4.67 weighted [No class rank]
AP/Honors: 9 APs / 11 Honors
EC: 4x varsity athlete (2x captain; 3x all-state; 4x all-conference); Academic Tutor; Lot of community volunteer and church involvement
Accepted: Michigan, Georgia, Wisconsin, Baylor, TCU
TBD: Vanderbilt, Emory, Davidson

My daughter did list a specific engineering major as her first choice but it was not mentioned in her acceptance. We will call admissions next week. This would likely affect her decision to go here since sheā€™s guaranteed her major at other schools. We thought no one had an ā€œinā€ to their major until completing their first year. If others in her class already have the major locked down, I would assume her chances are greatly decreased. We will clarify with admissions. Thanks for the info, although itā€™s still not completely clear how they work it. :slight_smile:

Just got an email that I got onto the business direct entry waitlist! Did anyone else get this?

@sunnyz - not including a major in the admission letter seems odd, given what their own website says. Please report back to let us know what gives.

No one has the major locked-down, but if you are accepted direct to major you have first dibs on those progression requirements. That might be why they accept direct to major. But in that case they should specify the major unless the applicant specifies that they are undecided.

Some colleges DO accept to college, not to major. I think thatā€™s better, because itā€™s very possible to change your mind once you matriculate. But if you are totally set on a specific type of engineering, itā€™s best to know that you have 100% access to the courses you need to complete that program of study.

Did her Fall 2019 Application page change at all on her portal? Some posters reported a switch to second choice major right before decisions were released, so was curious as to whether on her portal the specific major has been removed. Also on the Accept/Decline page it should specify exactly what sheā€™s been admitted to so thatā€™s another cross-check. If both those pages specify a major, then you know the letter omitted her major by mistake.

Yes also just got email that am on wait list for direct admission to business school.

@JBStillFlying - these are good questions. Iā€™ll check with my daughter at some point. Iā€™m honestly so hesitant to bring it up to her right now because sheā€™s so unbelievably happy to have been admitted to Madison that I donā€™t want to dampen her excitement just yet. If I bring all this up sheā€™ll stress about it. Iā€™ll give it until after the holiday and then we can look into it and call the school as well. I checked the progression requirements on Madisonā€™s page and the GPA requirements are quite high. Way higher than, say, Purdue. She is very certain she wants to study biomedical. I would hate for her to choose a school and then not have the chance to do so. But I know UW Madison has been her dream school since she was a freshman. Blergh. This whole college thing is so stressful!! :slight_smile:

@sunnryz I donā€™t think you have anything to worry about. From my understanding you still have to declare a major after meeting the freshman progression requirements and switching majors once already into the COE is relatively easy(according to friends on Campus). For example I was admitted to Enineering Mechanics (Assummed it was the best substitute for an Aerospace degree) but have since decided Mechanical would be better. You should click on the 2019 Fall application link in student center and see what it says for your daughters intended major.

Deferred
OOS California

GPA: 3.5 UW. 4.2 W
SAT: 1490

@subby4college nope I was oof, Iā€™m from Minnesota.