University of Wisconsin Madison EA Class of 2023

Addendum to #1137 and #1126-27. Son received an e-mail earlier this afternoon for UW-Madison Admitted Student Days. Here it is:

"Sign up for UW-Madison Admitted Student Events

Congratulations again on being admitted to the University of Wisconsin-Madison!

We are pleased to announce that you can now sign up for one of our upcoming admitted student events.

Your UW Day is a full day of programming that includes a campus resource fair, breakout sessions, a tour, and a school/college-specific afternoon session so you can learn more about your chosen major. Join us on February 15, March 8, April 5, or April 15.

Admitted Student Information Sessions are shorter visits specifically designed for admitted students that begin with a presentation and conclude with a campus tour. Sessions take place on April 1, April 8, April 19, April 22, April 26, and April 29.

Financial Aid: Next Steps for Admitted Students sessions cover commonly asked questions by admitted students. These sessions take place after each Admitted Student Information Session and Campus Tour on April 1, April 8, April 19, April 22, April 26, and April 29.

These events are a great opportunity to learn more about UW-Madison and decide if our campus is the right fit for you–without having to travel to Wisconsin. Since space is limited, review the full schedule and be sure to register in advance and check back as registration becomes available.

Follow these steps to make your reservation:
Locate your NetID and password
Choose the date that works best for you
Register for your event
Save your confirmation email

In the meantime, get ready to ask plenty of questions during your visit. You will meet many other admitted students in person that day. Connect with them in our UW-Madison Official Class of 2023 Facebook group or through the hashtag #FutureBadger before the event to share your excitement, talk about what you intend to study, and get a sense of who will be a part of your campus community.

As always, you are welcome to contact our office with any questions.

On, Wisconsin!

Office of Admissions and Recruitment
University of Wisconsin-Madison"

Thanks, @JBStillFlying. DD was able to go in through Visit Bucky first and register for an online event and event in April.

Thank you, @JBStillFlying - my daughter got the email last night. We’re debating which of the two programs is better to help her make her decision/understand what it’s like to be a UW student in general and a UW student in her major. We’re leaning toward the Your UW type of visit. A current UW student from my daughter’s HS told her she didn’t know anyone from OOS who was able to attend either type of session prior to enrollment, and the in-state students she knows at UW attended multiple sessions on campus prior to enrollment, so the content fogged together. If my daughter gets more detail on what’s covered in the different sessions, I’ll share here. Might help others decide which type is better. Since they’re spaced out, doing both would require separate trips.

My son is signed up for a Your UW session. Seems it’s always best to attend the day-long programs if possible.

I got waitlisted for engineering. Do many people get off the waitlist and if so when would we hear? Thanks

They are waitlisting already?Do you mean deferred?

Edit/Update: or were you given 2nd choice and waitlisted at first choice?

@JBStillFlying given 2nd, waitlisted first (engineering)

You can now enter mid year grades on the portal

My son got deferred after applying ea. Found out Christmas eve which wasnt fun. He is OOS. ACT 30 and 4.4 WA. Just saw that we can post mid year grades , which will be the same as always a’s with 1 b and all honors/ap. My son is in finals this week so grades wont be out for about two weeks which is kinda late. Just read that deferred might not be given an answer til end of March. So disappointed as that is so late when we applied in Oct. Hope there is time for an admitted student visit if he is admitted. We have a 12 hour drive so need to make a plan. In the meantime he got some great scholarship offers before Thanksgiving , so we will visit on the admitted students days and narrow down the field . Wish everyone good luck !

@Lenoir - the admission sessions run into April no problem. Wouldn’t worry about the timing of mid-year grades. Many of my son’s schools don’t require the Mid-Year report before February. For kids on the edge it’ll provide a definitive decision; for many others it won’t change anything. Hope your son’s in the first group and that the news is good. It’s always best to have more choices, and he would always have the option to decline the offer.

Thanks JBstillflying

People who are disappointed with no merit money - where should this money come from? Wisconsin taxpayers?

Scholarship money at UMN comes from various donors and benefactors.

@Madison85 To be fair, only 15% of Madison’s annual budget comes from Wisconsin while nearly twice that (29%) comes from the federal government. The pool of money that merit scholarships are paid out of contains comparatively little state money. This is all not to mention the economic gain that bringing the most successful out of state students into Wisconsin provides. These high performing OOS students with merit scholarships are, on average, academically stronger than in state students which correlates strongly with future earnings which means a higher potential for donations back to the school and increased state revenue if they remain in Wisconsin. It really is a matter of balancing out brain drain but on a state level, a selection of Wisconsin’s best students are lost to OOS schools that offer them merit aid or stronger programs than offered in state so Wisconsin needs to incentive strong students from OOS to come to Madison in order to uphold the schools high academic reputation and to support Wisconsin’s future economy.

I’m not trying to convince you because I’m hoping to get merit aid. I’m in all likelihood going to Purdue anyways so my receiving or not receiving merit aid at UW really doesn’t affect me.

TL;DR

Wisconsin tax payers fund only a small portion of the university, and as such they only fund a small portion of each scholarship. This is a necessary expenditure for UW-Madison to maintain its high academic standing because Wisconsin loses good students each year to OOS schools and needs to replace them. Development economics would suggest that their is a net positive gain, but there is no evidence to support this either way.

@watrs well said!

Does the mid-year report mean midterm exams or just 2nd quarter grades?

I in 5 WI residents of this years freshman class received A FULL RIDE. That was based on need for families making less than 57, 000 a year.
I am sure if UW-Madison needed to buy students with merit money then they would have. Instead they did something so admirable by using money to help resisdents in need.
They also have another affordable route called guaranteed transfer for those who want to go to a community college first and then transfer in & receive their degree from UW - Madison.
No need to belabor this point.
On Wisconsin!!

@collegegang - 2nd quarter grades or whatever quarter/semester that came after the grades you sent in as part of the original transcript.

Hope that makes sense.

Thank you it does!

@Watrs I am curious about your thoughts that “These high performing OOS students with merit scholarships are, on average, academically stronger than in state students
” and “It really is a matter of balancing out brain drain but on a state level, a selection of Wisconsin’s best students are lost to OOS schools that offer them merit aid
” Do you think there might be a connection between losing top WI students to OOS because WI does very little to entice them to stay? Not sure about your assertion that the OOS students with merit are, on average, academically stronger than in state students. If true, I wonder if that is because top WI students are seemingly more valued and sought after by OOS schools and take those opportunities. Maybe WI wouldn’t need to rely on economic gain from OOS students if they kept more of their best and brightest in state.