***University of Wisconsin-Madison Fall 2017 Thread***

Common Ap. is definitely a factor for OOS admissions. However, it’s been posited that in-state admissions have probably not been impacted.

When is the early action responses coming? Hi samantha

unofficial word is definitely end of Jan. Admissions is saying “by” end of January and won’t distinguish between In state and OOS. They musta gotten a lotta OOS this year so it just makes sense to release everything at once. That also means that in-staters will need to submit their mid-year grades before admission which might(?) be a new thing for them.

now that in staters will likely have to send in semester grades before their decision, how much of an impact will there be from those grades on their chances of getting in?

Anyone else think it’s kind of ridiculous to wait this long? Some of my friends have heard back from Ivy League schools already and I applied 2 'moths before them.

@fr3d The decisions for ED/EA of Ivy or strong private school such as Uchicago or public school such as UIUC or UMich have already been released. Public school as such as UW-Madison or UNC CH will release the decision in January. I really don’t know what cause this difference. UNC CH said they really look at every applications carefully so they need more time for the process. UW-Madison jointed Common App this year which may increase the applicant number and workload of the admission office. Also they hire a new head for admission office. These may cause the delay of decision release. But all these are only speculations.

NOT at all ridiculous. Can still apply in January. They could just do like the private schools and make everyone wait until March or so. The early action is NOT like early decision. It just means those who applied earlier get some sort of answer- yes/no/maybe by the set date. remember, they likely will have top students finally doing applications in January when those students get their answers from their first choice schools (or get nagged by parents to have a safety).

Personally I think the wait is ridiculous. Also that they got rid of rolling admissions. For what purpose? I applied September 1st, so I’ll end up waiting around 4.5 months for a decision.

kid in my school got in

@cawledgekid are you a WI resident? There have been a few WI accepts - one of them posted on CC a few weeks ago. They seem to be special cases and/or associated with special scholarship opportunities.

@JBStillFlying3 no, OOS

any chance in state will hear before end of January?

@cawledgekid - wow - that’s interesting, considering that no one on this thread from OOS has heard anything. Any special circumstances or hooks that you are aware of (athletics, etc.)?

@JBStillFlying @cawledgekid must have been a t.roll i guess. There were other people who tried to mess up with the thread lol

Latest update from UW Admissions twitter page as of today is “EA applicants will hear by the end of January. No specific release dates posted.”

@Taewoolee @JBStillFlying possible athletic hooks but not recruited fully

On the UW Madison Admissions website they recently changed “Early Action Decision Deadline: End of January” to “Early Action Decision: End of January”. Removed the deadline part, implying no more rolling admissions.

So looks like we are all gonna have to wait until the end of January :confused:

Hoping this means fewer “Defer/Postpone” decisions but we will see.

Posted on UW Madison Admissions Twitter earlier today:

[Quote]
We don’t have any release dates posted, but the latest EA applicants will hear is the end of Jan. Waiting is tough, we know!

Guess we aren’t going to find out in December